Help required - Iphone Local Sim card

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jesterengland, Mar 3, 2010.

1. jesterengland macrumors newbie

Good day all
    Would really appreciate some help from people who have used foreign simcards in their Iphones.
    I have a 3G on o2 in the UK and recently they have unlocked my phone since the exclusivity deal is over. I travel a lot and am interested in using a local sim card in my phone when abroard.
    The question is what happens with your phone setting etc... for example do the saved text messages and emails and contacts stay the same whatever sim card you use?
    And what happens with internet. How do you get the right settings to access 3G on the network your on?
    Many thanks for the help :)

2. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

The iPhone does not use its SIM card to keep track of things like contact lists and email messages - it stores all those things inside the phone's main memory. Swapping SIM cards shouldn't cause you to lose any of that information.

As far as Internet settings go, you'll probably have to ask your local carriers for information regarding APN etc, when you apply for the local carrier's data package, and then manually input it into the iPhone whenever you switch carriers. Or, if you don't sign up for a data package with your local carrier, you'll probably want to insert totally bogus data in the iPhone's APN settings, to avoid incurring pay-per-use fees.

No matter what you do regarding cellular data, WiFi will always work, provided you have permission to use whatever WiFi network you attempt to connect to.

Instructions on how to edit an authorized unlocked iPhone's APN settings are given on Apple's support website.