help required obtaining a file.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by madmacfan, Mar 10, 2012.

1. madmacfan macrumors 6502

Hi there. I have accidentally deleted the SPInfo.strings files. The full file location is below

/Applications/Utilities/System Information.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/SPInfo.strings

Can someone please copy this file and upload it in a link for me?

Any help regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. madmacfan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. you're a life saver

3. Danielvonluchau macrumors newbie

I deleted it too, but your link is broken :(
    Help would be highly appreciated!

4. simsaladimbamba

5. benwiggy, Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012

benwiggy macrumors 68020

Do you not have a backup of your system files?
    You "accidentally" deleted a component file from inside an app bundle? What on earth were you doing there?

Always dupe the file before you go tinkering inside system files. Particularly if you're doing it in Terminal with no safety net.

You can always use Pacifist to reinstall individual files from OS X installer packages.

But, most importantly:
    NEVER accept system components from strange men on the internet. (No offense, simsaladimbamba :p) While he might be well-intentioned, it is conceivable that it could be laced with some malware (maliciously or unwittingly).
    No one has specified which version of Lion they have -- 10.7.1, 2, 3, 4?? How do you know the file does not differ between those versions?

6. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Sure, a malware concerning bad grammar. :rolleyes:

7. simsaladimbamba

See, as the OP and the necroposter didn't specify their Mac OS X version, I simply ignored the fact, that this thread is in the Lion sub-forum.
    Both times I uploaded the file from 10.6.8, thus it should be unusable.

And yes, I do spread no malware, only my mal attitude.

8. benwiggy macrumors 68020

What's your point? It's OK in this instance, so generally getting into the habit of copying system files from randoms on the internet is the best policy?
    And you know conclusively that malware CAN'T piggy-back off a .strings file?

OK, fine. Knock yourselves out. Download anything from anywhere and stick it on your computer. See if I care. To say nothing of the legality of uploading OS X files for public distribution.

Enough of the sarcasm. As I said -- how do you know the files doesn't change between POINT versions of Lion. And you wouldn't be the first person in the world to pass on an infected file unwittingly.

Why do I bother trying to help people?

9. simsaladimbamba

While I understand your concern, and your points are valid, I often uploaded applications, that got accidentally deleted, I think you misunderstood post #8. It was not meant as attack, I just discovered, that I assumed, it was about 10.6.8, and not actually Lion. You were the first to mention the OS version, thus my discovery, that this is in the Lion sub-forum. I always forget this sub-forum, as it is the first for any specific version, probably due to the wide availability of pirated beta versions of this OS compared to the OS betas before.

10. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Sorry for misinterpreting the tone of your post! :eek: :D

So it was the wrong file! As I also stated, there may be legal issues with making parts of OS X available for public download.

All the more reason why it is better to suggest to people that they:
    a) have a backup of their system
    b) dupe any system files they are about to modify
    c) use Pacifist from Charlesoft to reinstall individual components from an OS X installer package.

rather than upload files which may be the wrong ones and which may be infected with something, and put yourself at risk, however small, of legal action.

I'm curious why two people have both "accidentally" deleted the same file. Is there some hack that requires modifying this file?

11. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Apparently, this "instance", as you call it, is very specific, in case you didn't notice.
    Notice also that I have never stated anything about "best policies", but that you did.

Yes, I know that. Seems like you have no idea what a text file can or can't do. :rolleyes:

Have you tried some analgesic to fight agaist that kind of problem? And we know what I mean. ;)

Also, legality? You must be kidding. Nowhere uploading part (specifically, a strings file) of a localization bundle is mentioned as illegal, and notice that this doesn't even apply to me, thus I don't know why you're mentioning it on a quote of my post.

12. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Are you suggest that I need some sort of pain relief for some reason? Well, I can see one pain in the arse here.
    Grow up.

Advising people to exercise a bit of thought about security is not something that needs to be the target of teenage sass.
    How do they know that the linked file is in fact what it claims to be?

13. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Seeing your previous response, yes. I would defenitely suggest something.

In 2012 is common knowledge to be careful about downloading files, even without some random posters reminding it, no offense intended. Kids know that too.
    However, we are talking about a text file no one needs to open. The worst thing it could cause is some missing messages, in which case they would know what's wrong with what.

Checking hashes is a way, provided one can find them.
    This is, however, a separate topic than that of what a file uploaded by a respected and old forum member could cause to one's computer.