Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zosoandhis654

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Hi guys...I need your advice and help here..

I'm a high school student in my final year studying in Dubai...
I'm looking to head to U.K. or U.S. for my further education.
I am planning to buy a laptop by the end of this year.

I really want a Mac Book Pro. Earlier,the only reason for me buying it was because it is a "Mac Book." I was more obsessed with the status of the laptop.
But now I have an interest in that laptop.
I am aware that it's user friendly, has a longer battery life than others and is less prone to viruses.

I will be using it for ...
Work
Studies
Presentations
Web
and maybe a little gaming(the one's that do not take a lot of space and no high graphic card req.)

But the problem here is that my farther is against my decision on planning to purchase the Mac Book Pro.
He has a 12 core Mac Pro which he uses for designing and media at his workplace.
He feels that the Mac Book Pro is not your every day user friendly laptop which can be used by students for their performing their necessities.
He does not understand the diff. b/w his Mac and the Mac Book..

How do I convince him that it is used by students too??
What features should I tell him that I will be making use off??
He wants me to get a Dell XPS..
What do I tell him that will convince him that the Mac Book is a better choice??

:apple: FTW!!!!!!:)

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Macs are widely renowned for their portability compared to bulkier PC laptops. That's one reason why students like them. You're also correct on battery life; 5-6 hours at least when using the integrated GPU. This makes it easy to work through a day of classes without access to a power outlet.

The multitouch gestures on the latest version of OSX, Lion, make multitasking very efficient on the MBP. A simple swipe to change applications.

One thing to be wary of is any specialized programs that might be required for your field of study. Certain engineering specializations come to mind. Windows might be required for these, but you can install Windows on the MBP too for those. Parallels and VMFusion are both applications that allow you to run Windows and OSX at the same time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.