HELP!!! Rescuing User Data from iMac...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by netdog, Jul 27, 2007.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Here is what happened...

I ran an archive and install (manitining user settings checked) on my iMac from my Tiger iMac CDs to install X11 and it got stuck on Disk 2 installing Garage Band. After several attempts at cleaning the disk, I called AppleCare and they said to start the install again from the beginning and leave off Garage Band.

When I started the reinstall, it gave me the option to upgrade (not available previously) but I again selected archive and install with preserve users checked.

That install failed somewhere into it (last I noticed it was installing the base system, but I walked away from it).

Now it won't boot (kernel panic) and when I try to run install again, it does not give the option of preserving users. I backed up a couple of months ago, but would lose a fair amount of data if I can't get at this data.

I do have at my disposal:

A working MBP, firewire cables, external drives to use toward a rescue mission. Of course, there is also the Apple Store down on Regent Street.

Anybody have any ideas about how I can get to the drive on the iMac and get my user data off the disk?

HELP!!!

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Connect your iMac to your MBP via firewire. Boot up MBP, turn on iMac with the 'T' key pressed to put it into Firewire Target Mode. Your iMac's hard drive should show up on your MBP, so you can rescue files.

3. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

Fantastic. I am copying my user directory over to an external right now. Once I have copied that, is there anything else I should drag over?

FWIW, it says that one or more files cannot be copied due to some permissions issue, but it is copying a lot of files.

Finally, all my stuff is currently in a folder called Previous System 2. Is it likely that I could rename that folder to System and the computer would work again? I want to copy my stuff first, but isn't that likely to work?

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yeah Previous System is where your system folder gets moved to when you do and archive and install. Renaming back to System should undo things.