Help!! Resetting Unlocked iPhone made it iBrick

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by vikasnd, May 3, 2010.

1. vikasnd macrumors newbie

I have iPhone 2G with 3.0.3, I unlocked it and it was workign ok.
    Then I reset it to remove old content and data, but now it has gone into not working mode. It's screen is stuck at apple icon and loading screen. I tried resetting several times by pressing power and center button, but it goes to the same screen.
    I also tried connecting to iTunes, but it doesn't detect any iPhone.
    Is there anyway I can get it back to the working state? Please help..

Thanks
    Vikas

2. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

This is one of the more time-consuming mistakes but you're not bricked. First, tell me if you were unlocked.

Beyond that hold the home and power for two cycles of Apple logo, it should seem like a long time. Plug into USB and hold power until screen goes black. Then perform a DFU restore (10 seconds both buttons, 10 seconds home only) and restore with current firmware. Then tell me what appears. If you get an error, Google iRestore and follow the instructions on iClarified.com.

3. vikasnd thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Thanks for reply. Yes, it was unlocked. I tested it by putting another SIM and it was working fine.
    Now I tried restoring via DFU mode. It shows connect to iTunes icon on the phone. But iTunes is not able to upgrade. It says 'it coult not contact iPhone software updater server because I am not connnected to internet. '
    I can connect to internet, but I am afraid it would try to upgrade to latest Firmware and it will make it iBrick. Should I connect to internet?

Thanks
    Vikas

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

When you reset all content and data it basicly formats the phone.
    You have to restore it and then rejailbreak and unlock it.
    Alot of people think that function will just delete their contacts and stuff but it deletes everything.

5. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

why don't you want to upgrade to latest OS? thats jailbreakable with pwnagetool or redsn0w.... not sure about spirit not got a 1st gen to try out and unlockable with yellowsn0w.

but anyway, if you hold the alt key on windows or the options key on mac then press restore you can point iTunes to your 3.0.3 firmware and restore to that instead.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

He has a 2G iphone.
    No yellowsnow or ultrasnow or blacksnow.
    All he needs is to restore to the latest firmware and then JB with redsnow and unlock with bootneuter.

7. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

What is is about all these posters hitting the reset button(s).

Every single one of them, their next post begins with "Help me".

8. vikasnd thread starter macrumors newbie

I can restore with latest firmware, but when I jailbroke last time, a friend told me that I should never upgrade it with latest apple software otherwise it will make it not usable at all. That's why I asked if I upgrade to the latest from apple, it would still work ok. I guess all the post above suggest it won't break the phone if I upgrade to latest.

Thanks. I will try that and see what happens next.

Vikas

9. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

10. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

That's right. iPhone 2G is no longer supported by Apple in the sense that bootrom isn't going to be updated. Therefore, it is safe to upgrade the firmware on the 2G without the risk of losing unlock.

11. hassassin macrumors newbie

man are you right about that, haha, so true!!!
    i see you have the old bootrom on yours and its JB and unlocked...im JB but i have 06.02bootrom...is there any hope do you think????? PM me if you want, whatever works for ya
    :D

12. hassassin macrumors newbie

ok, you clearly know a lot about this stuff, maybe you can give me a hand as well...

3G
    06.02 bootloader (this is the problem i think)

is there anyway to unlock with this botloader, fuzzybuddy wont work (that i know of) so i cant use it to downgrade, hense i cant unlock.

any thoughts or advise??
    thanks!!!!!!!!!

13. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You can jailbreak (using Spirit or Redsn0w) but for now there is no unlock.
    We expect a new tool to unlock in mid-June

14. iphonegeek786 macrumors 6502

iphonegeek786

Yep, sherif_hashim has confirmed he is all most done with the unlock. You might get it as soon as June 7 (when the WDC is) or around June 22 (the week ATT told their employees they can't have vacations). I am in the same situation as you. But I don't mind I have another touchscreen phone and that will hold me up til June.

15. hassassin macrumors newbie

ahhh, good to hear.
    thanks guys!
    i thought this was the case, good to know.
    now its a waiting game...more waiting, then some more...ah well:cool:

16. vikasnd thread starter macrumors newbie

I upgraded to 3.1.3 OS, but now I am stuck at connect to itunes screen (no service), the one with emergency call.
    I tried to use spirit to jailbreak but it can't be used for phone with this screen :S.
    How can I JB it now ??

Thanks,
    Vikas

17. vikasnd thread starter macrumors newbie

I restored the iPhone to 3.1.2 OS. Then what I found was on this iPhone that it was unlocked but not jailbroken. I used blackrain to JB and it was working ok then.
    Thanks for helping folks !

Vikas