Help resetting Watch with broken screen

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by kitenski, Sep 21, 2017.

1. kitenski macrumors regular

kitenski

My wife dropped her watch onto a hard floor and the screen is totally cracked and doesn't respond to any taps. The watch turns on fine but as the screen is unresponsive I cannot type in her pin.

From her iPhone I did an unpair, which I thought would then reset the watch. However the phone said the unpair failed, but still unpaired it and didn't then go through the watch wipe and reset.

So is there any way to reset the watch? Pressing and holding the crown gives me the power off option but the screen isn't responsive so I cannot force press it to initiate the reset.

The watch doesn't appear any longer in icloud.com either!

Help!!!

2. fischersd, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017

fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

If it's still paired with her iPhone, then you should still be able to wipe it by using the Watch app, under General, Reset, then Erase Apple Watch Content and Settings.

Believe that also unpairs it when complete.

(if the Unpairing failed, it should have kept the Watch in the watch app - if it's not showing up, try power cycling both devices - see if they see each other again).

If the Watch doesn't come back in the app on the phone, then you're stuck - you need to take it into the Apple store or an Apple authorized repair centre (think they'll have the same access they do in the store). But, you could just as easily call Apple Care and discuss getting it repaired / replaced (you're concerned with them getting access to the data on the broken watch?)

3. kitenski thread starter macrumors regular

kitenski

Thanks, despite the unpairing failing it removed it from her phone!! Basically I want to sell it on eBay, but was concerned about any private data being left on there. From digging around and speaking to apple it appears not much is stored on the phone. So if I sell it "as is" on ebay, the buyer has to repair the screen then they can do the long button press/reset once the screen is working.

We don't have Apple care so the repair cost is about £250 in the UK!