Help @ resizing HD without erasing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Frizzles, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Frizzles macrumors newbie

Hm ok, today after long saving I bought my first apple product :cool: An imAc 24" (awesome stuff :D)

My mom asked me to put Vista on it because she has trouble with OS X, when I used bootcamp to divide my HDD I took to much space for windows (like 450gb :eek:) Only leaving me, the biggest user of this comp with 100gb on my OS X lol)

Any way to make the Windows partition smaller and add the extra free space to my OS X partition without erasing any thing :) ?

Ty ^^

2. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

Nope you have to erase the vista partition then resize it.

3. Hydroxs macrumors regular

4. Frizzles thread starter macrumors newbie

Doesn't work, guess i'll do a reformat then :(

Thx anyway

5. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

If it is a reasonably new installation of Vista and you have an external HD you can use Winclone to image it. Then you can run the Boot Camp Wizard again and repartition to the partition sizes you desire and restore the image to the new Windows partition. As long as there is enough space Winclone will automatically resize the image to fit. I've used it several times to resize my Boot Camp partition and retain my Vista install. It works great. Winclone is awesome (and donation-ware). ;)

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

What kind of "trouble" with OSX? Probably just fear of the unknown.

You should
    - Make her her own account separate from yours in OSX.
    - Put Apps folder onto dock and use list view for that so she could use it as a start menu.
    - Show her these pages.
    www.apple.com/macosx/guidedtour/
    www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/

7. Hydroxs macrumors regular

Couldn't you resize the osx partition and format that to ntfs and then use pm8 to resize it?

8. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

9. Frizzles thread starter macrumors newbie

iPartition gave me a warning that the disk I wanted to format was in use and bla bla bla :p

So I thought about resizing the HD in vista itself and then use a program on OS X to get that free space and merge it with my OSX partition.

But my HD was only able to be resized by 89gb of the 450gb because of the automatic back ups and some memory thing from Windows. Since Vista was a fresh install and not alot of important stuff was on it I just did a format and then a new install and only gave it 40 GB this time :D

Problem solved!