Help - resizing program windows seems to be disabled

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by NataliMdeE, Jul 16, 2011.

1. NataliMdeE, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2011

NataliMdeE macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've looked for a solution to my problem but haven't found one... For some reason, my ability to resize ANY operating program window is disabled. Does anyone know how I can enable this on my MacBook Pro? Actually, it seems I can't even MOVE the windows around on my desktop

ANY help would be appreciated...

2. simsaladimbamba

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're new to Mac, be aware that, unlike Windows, you can only drag to resize windows by grabbing the lower right corner. You can't resize by grabbing any other part of the window. What happens if you click the green button in the upper left corner?

If none of that works, try restarting your Mac, which is a basic troubleshooting step.

4. NataliMdeE thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you both for your comments. I have Mac OS X 10.6.7 version. As far as I know, I haven't installed any automatic resizing programs. It's very frustrating, because I'm not sure what's going on (I can't move the windows nor resize them...). I'm fairly new to Mac, but I figured out how to resize the windows a while back - I don't think this is the problem. I tried turning off the computer, as well, but no luck :( Any other suggestions?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Can you post a screen shot?

6. chown33 macrumors 604

Are any other controls, such as buttons or checkboxes, also not working?

Maybe you've accidentally interchanged the primary click and secondary click. Menus work the same with either, but most other things require the primary click.

Check the trackpad preferences in System Preferences.

Also check the Mouse pane in System Preferences, right-hand side, radio buttons for "Primary mouse button".

Also check Universal Access under Mouse tab.

If you plug in a cheap USB mouse, do things work the same?

7. NataliMdeE thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorry... I don't understand what I should post... a screen shot?

8. NataliMdeE thread starter macrumors newbie

This is perfect! It does work with a USB mouse (I can move the screens/windows and I can resize them. Now I have to check everything else you suggested.

Thank you, everyone for your suggestions! I'm going to pursue this "mouse" problem.

9. NataliMdeE thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been reading other posts in which the trackpad button fails, and the posts seem to suggest it's a hardware problem (essentially, you either have to clean the interior of the computer or fix the spacing between the trackpad and the computer housing). Is there any SOFTWARE problem (in other words, the configuration one chooses on their MacBook Pro) whereby the trackpad button doesn't respond?

This seems to be my problem... my trackpad works: I can scroll with it, and even click with it by tapping it, and the windows/programs respond as desired. The problem is that the trackpad BUTTON, when I press it to either close a program, or hold it down as necessary when resizing/moving program windows, doesn't "work"...

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

http://guides.macrumors.com/Taking_Screenshots_in_Mac_OS_X
    Check your settings in System Preferences > Trackpad

11. NataliMdeE thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, as I said before, the trackpad works fine. It's the trackpad BUTTON that doesn't respond...