Help! Restarted iMac and Data has Disappeared!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vicki2314, Sep 8, 2007.

1. vicki2314 macrumors member

Hi all.

I recently purchased a new iMac to replace my iMac G5 which is now going to my brother. After transferring all my files to my new iMac, I changed my admin account in the system preferences to my brother's name along with the password in the iMac G5. However the home folder in the finder did not change to reflect my brother's name so I tried to change that using 'get info' but it acted strange and didn't actually change the name but replaced the home icon with a folder icon reflecting my brother's name and created a new folder in the users folder under HD instead of replacing my home folder.

I didn't know what to do so I restarted the mac and now the home icon is back with my name instead of my brother's but there is nothing in the Pictures, Documents, Movies, or Music folders- or the Desktop. Also the background settings are gone along with the dock settings. Even though the folders claim '0 Items' the GB available has remained the same so the data must still be there somewhere. I did back up the hard drive before transferring all my files to my new iMac to an external hard drive.

What should I do? Is there a way to reverse this? If I need to reinstall the OS and transfer everything from my external hard drive, how do I do that?

2. vicki2314 thread starter macrumors member

wow, thanks!

everything is fixed, but should I delete the '_new' folder in the users now that everything is back or would that cause more problems