Help restoring an iBook G4 !

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by NiCk-, Aug 8, 2008.

1. NiCk- macrumors regular

Hi guys,

I need all the help i can get from you .. Recently, i was at my cousin's house, and saw a laptop on his desk that i have never seen before ... The top of the laptop - which reminded me of something - was filled with stickers and various images from magazines and the bottom half was white with a stripe of gray .. When i opened it - with great surprise - i saw the letters "iBook G4" written beneath its screen ! 2 buttons were missing from the keyboard, and few others were not working but it was an iBook nevertheless .. My cousin told me that a friend of his, has given it to him and he didn't need it at all because it was "useless" ... So, naturally, i asked him if I can have it, and he accepted ..
    So, now I'm in the process of restoring the poor thing .. It's a 2005 iBook, with a 1,25ghz G4, 512mb of Ram, and a 40gb HDD ... I have already installed Leopard on it, and they work great .. But i have trouble fixing its appearance ... I removed all the stickers and papers that were on top, but I can't remove the damned glue spots ( stupid friend, I know ) ... I have tried soap, acetone and paint thinner but they won't come off ...
    Also i need some help on fixing the keyboard ... The "tab" and "option" buttons are missing, and the "s", "w", and "f2" buttons are not working ... Is there any way to fix them ??

Thanks for reading, and any help is appreciated !

P.s. I live in Cyprus, and we don't have an AppleStore here :(

2. saulinpa macrumors 6502

There is a product called "Goo Gone" that I've used to get stickers off.

You can buy keys on eBay and a few web sites. That will work as long as the switch itself works. If not, you can get a replacement keyboard on eBay as well and it is easy to remove. Actually putting new keys on can take a lot of work as there is a hinge under each key and the Tab has a metal bar as well.