Help restoring apps on replacement phone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ericg301, Jan 10, 2013.

1. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

I just got a replacement iPhone 5 because the sleep/wake button stopped working. I usually backup automatically via iCloud, but knowing I'd get a new phone, I did a complete backup via iTunes on my laptop (Windows 8).

Got the new phone, plugged it in, and restored from the backup. It went through its process. When it was done, none of my 3rd party apps (over 150) were installed. It had my wallpaper, photos, ringtones, etc. All system-level items were in their right places.

I know a restore via iCloud will restore my apps — I've done that before. But it'll take HOURS over this slow wifi.

Any idea how to restore my phone, apps and all? Otherwise I'll run the iCloud restore overnight.

Thanks!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The apps copy when you restore from backup.
    You have to sync those back from your itunes library.
    If you have them there saved on the computer you can sync them fast. If you try to do it over icloud with wifi it will take hours. Next time have them available on your library also.

3. ericg301 thread starter macrumors 6502a

so i have hundreds of apps in my itunes library....i have to remember which 100 or so i had on my phone and sync those back?

i thought this was more automatic..."it just works"

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I'm not 100% but when you go to the apps tab in iunes with your iPhone plugged in your apps should be automatically checked/selected and they should sync back in the same order you had them arranged before on your phone.

5. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

Isn't it restore, and then sync to get music, apps etc. to copy over?

6. ericg301 thread starter macrumors 6502a

the APPS tab shows a list of every app I've ever downloaded, along with an "install" button next to each one. i just want the apps i already had installed.

----------

it restored, synced music, then done. no apps.

7. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

That's weird. I just upgraded to a 5, restored from a 4 backup, synced, and all settings, music and apps came over, exactly as before. Might be worth another try from scratch.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sucks man.
    Looks like you will have to select/click them again to sync them.
    Suprised it didnt automaticly select them for you.

9. ericg301 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'll just do a restore from iCloud later. It'll take a while, but I know it works. I've done that many times before.

Thanks for all the help.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

11. androcathr macrumors newbie

12. ericg301 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I restored from iCloud. It restored all my settings, then downloaded my apps exactly as I had them before.

Some apps kept my login info (like Netflix, Instagram), but for other apps, I had to sign in again (mainly Google apps).

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think where you may have gone wrong is perhaps you were not backing up to iTunes like you thought when you synced. When you turn on iCloud backups, that turns off auto backups to iTunes. With iCloud backups on you need to manually backup to iTunes by "Backup Now" button in the device Summary tab.

Also, if you checkmark encrypt backup in iTunes it will save the passwords for all those apps you had to reenter passwords for.

14. ericg301 thread starter macrumors 6502a

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hmmm... I got nothin' :confused: