Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cgm707

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2009
I do have time machine backups. However, what I want to restore was in my Downloads folder, which I removed from being backed up, grrr. And my trash bin is empty. Of course.

Is there a way to look at the Trash bin on my backups, to try to restore what was in the Downloads folder? When I open time machine, and click on downloads, the screen doesn't go there, I guess because it wasn't included in the backup.

With the upgrade to El Capitan, I miss the ability to perform some of the tasks I used to be able to do using Onyx and Disk Utility...I know Disk Utility can perform the most important maintenance, but what about the other tasks that can only be found on utilities like Onyx and ccleaner?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I thought there was a way to recover deleted files some other way, using Terminal, or something.

I just thought of something that may work for you if it has not been too long since you emptied the trash.

When you have Time Machine turned on and empty trash, it does not actually remove the file, but rather moves it to a hidden /.MobileBackups folder. You may be able to look in that folder and see if the folder is still there. Try clicking the Desktop then click the Go menu then Go to folder... then paste this > /.MobileBackups in and return.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.