Help Restoring Macbook to Factory

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Christopher387A, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Joined:
    Jul 1, 2007
    I'm trying to restore my Macbook (white) to factory defaults and I can't get the disk to boot and am having trouble. Whenever I load the disk in and restart holding c, the disk spins and then spits out and the computer boots to Mac OS X (Leopard). I've reset the nvram, the pram, repaired permissions with no success. I used to have Bootcamp installed, but I read that may cause problems so I uninstalled it and it still won't work. These are the grey disks that came with the computer when I bought it new a few months ago so I know they work. They say Mac OS X Disc 1/Disc 1. Any suggestions to getting the disk to boot instead of spit out? :(

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Any luck holding down Option to bring up the boot loader?

3. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

while in leopard insert the disk and run the restore from there

it will ask for a password and then reboot to the disc

4. Christopher387A thread starter Guest

I've tried that a few times in Leopard and the disk spins, then slows down, then spins again and then it gets spit out. I also tried the option to bring up the boot loader and it doesn't work because it won't bring up the boot loader when restarting until after it spits the disk out. It's got me stumped!

5. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

6. Christopher387A thread starter Guest

If I put in a different disk, the drive reads it, so the drive is working fine. It's either something wrong with my computer or the disk is bad. :p I would think Apple would send out working disks with their computers, but I guess you never know. :(

7. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

there are always defects. i would take the disk and the computer to an apple store if it is convenient and having them look at it

8. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

9. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

Would they replace the disk for you? Or would they do the restore in store? That'd be great service if so.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes they will restore the computer in the store, but don't expect them to zero it out.

11. Christopher387A thread starter Guest

An update: The computer reads regular disks (games, cds, etc) fine but will not read or boot from the install disk. I know they're the right disks since they've been in the Macbook box since the day I got the computer, and I know the disks aren't bad because when I put them into my iMac it has no problem reading them. I read online I can connect my iMac and my Macbook with a firewire cable to do the install, but I'd rather not buy a $30 cable if I don't have to.:(