Help Restoring OS X Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by tgi, Jun 12, 2013.

1. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Yes, I've googled for the answer and have had no luck, turning to MR.

I have erased the hard drive and want to do a fresh install of Lion. When I get to the installation, I'm prompted to enter my Apple ID and password. Then it says this ID has not purchased Lion.

I purchased Mountain Lion and it's tied to my Apple ID, anyway to bypass the Lion install and just go straight for the ML?

I think my only option at this point is to download Lion and put it on a thumb drive or create a disc with Lion on it. If this is my only option, where do I get Lion or a link for directions would be great.

How should I go about doing this. Early 2011 MBP if that helps.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Let me make sure I understand. Yu want to be back on Lion as your end result?

The problem now is you are command-r booting off a ML recovery partition, so it wants to install ML.

To get around that you need to go to Internet recovery by holding command-option-r when you boot. Once the recovery screen comes up use Disk Util to erase the entire disk by selecting the drive name (like Samsung 256GB for example) and erasing. This will erase the ML recovery partition. Then click install OS and Lion will DL from Apple's servers. You will not need an AppleID since the servers will see from your serial number the machine came with Lion.

3. tgi thread starter macrumors 65816

tgi

I'll try to explain exactly what my situation is.

I have an MBP w/ Lion installed. I wanted to do a restore to factory settings.

I booted the MBP using command + R. Erased the Macintosh hard drive and tried to do a fresh install of Lion. I was prompted to enter my Apple ID and password and it says this account hasn't purchased Lion.

I have Mountain Lion tied to my Apple ID, but I'm not sure what I should do from here. I don't really want to purchase Lion if I already have ML.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

So your machine came from the factory with Lion and you never installed ML? If that is the case the command-r reinstall should give you Lion with no AppleID.

Did you machine perhaps come with Snow Leopard and you later updated to Lion? If you did you will need to AppleID used to add Lion. Or you could just reinstall Snow Leopard form the original DVD if you have it.

You comment mentioned Mountain Lion making me think you installed ML on top of Lion. If that is the case you will need to do the command-option-r to get to Internet recovery so yu are not on the ML recovery drive.