Help! Returning my MBP w/ back to school promo

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lavinci, Jun 26, 2009.

1. lavinci macrumors 6502

I bought a 13" MBP for $1099 along with the iPod Touch 8GB and Canon printer. I am having second thoughts about my purchase and would just prefer the Air for basic college needs and, of course, portability.

If I do return/exchange at the apple store, can I do this by just exchanging my MBP for a MBA without my free iPod and printer promo being taken away? I have already given the iPod as a gift, but still have the printer on me.

Also, I am heavily considering just getting a refurb off Apple.com but I think that will just make the process harder with the free iPod and printer.

Any advice or help?

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Contact Apple. Note there may be a restocking fee, if the computer has already been opened.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Not sure why you feel you should be able to keep the iPod and printer if you return the computer and get a refurb. I don't think refurbs qualify for the back to school promotion do they?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. lavinci thread starter macrumors 6502

That's exactly why I am just going to do the exchange process in store. Anyone here convince me to stay with my MBP for college?

Gosh, I have the worst buyer's remorse. I also want the 15" MBP. I think I might be better off with that route.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

What exactly is driving your remorse
    At first you said you wanted the Air for more portability (but you have the 13")
    Now you say you want the 15"

You need to take a deep breath and decide what your needs are

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

6. Joyblossom macrumors newbie

Wow. I wish a free ipod touch in printer came with mine. I guess its because im in highschool? :confused: Well i would say to stay with the macbook pro because it might be too much of a hassle to try to get the macbook air.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I never understood people who ask strangers to convince them to keep/buy/return a purchase.

8. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

They'll probably charge you for the ipod touch and printer...only if you got your rebate for it. You're def not going to be able to keep the ipod + printer w/o paying for them... however if you want to swap the 13" for 15" you'll have absolutely no problem keeping the printer and ipod touch. They'll just switch laptops for you.

9. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

why get an air? isnt it more expensive, slower, and have a worse screen? The air is overrated, unless your an anemic 50 pound girl, carrying a mbp shouldnt be a problem

10. lavinci thread starter macrumors 6502

I do want portability but I also want power. I think my 13" falls there but the 15" is a powerful machine also. I only want the Air for its lightweight size. How do you think the MBP will feel in a backpack most of the time? Also, my college is quite small so I really don't have to walk much so that might factor into this also.

My needs and uses are: word processing, safari, IM, torrents, video viewing, and occasional music listening via speakers.

I think that takes away the Air since my travel time on campus is relatively short, but it helps to just grab the MBA and go since it is light.

So my question is, stick with my 13" or upgrade/downgrade?

11. lavinci thread starter macrumors 6502

Because since many of the people here have owned the MBP for way longer than I have, I thought it would be best to inquire the experienced over the newbies. This is my first mac for less than a week of ownership.

12. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

you cant grab your 13? are you exceptionally weak? Sounds like a whitebook would be best for you.

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Stop over-thinking it and just keep what you have
    It is more machine than you will need and it is portable enough for you

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

14. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Stick with what you have. I returned a 13.3 MBP to get a 15" MBP. After a week I realized I liked the smaller size better and noticed no difference for what I do going to the faster 15". I talked to the store manager, told him I made a huge mistake and now have another 13.3.

I am so satisfied with my purchase now, I thought the grass would be greener going to the 15" (I had just sold an older 15" MBP) but this 13.3 is perfect for me and I saved a lot of cash.

Seriously, I would stop over thinking your decision and enjoy what you have. When I had a 13 I wanted a 15, when I got the 15, I wanted my 13.3 back. Don't fall into that trap.

The store manager at my local Apple Store is a saint, very understanding and eager to please.

15. lavinci thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry, but I always second guess most of my electronics purchases after reading more reviews and such. Hey, at least I'm a college student that can actually afford one by myself in the first year. Thanks for all your input. I think I'll just keep my MBP and spoil myself with a lot of accessories.

Would you guys suggest getting a kensington portable lock for school?

16. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

yah, +1 for keeping it, for your uses, a powerbook would have enough power for what your doing. a 15 will be more than you need. unless you just wanted a bigger screen. But it seems like your using your mac for netbook duty, so i think your good. Id prolly get an external screen for videos though.

17. OrionsTrident macrumors newbie

OrionsTrident

i was in the same situation haha but i upgraded my macbook pro and they didnt require me to bring back my ipod cause i had given it to someone as a graduation present so i was unable to get it back and since you are just changing the computer the deal will still apply whether you get and air a pro or the white one.

18. lavinci thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah but I am still new to Mac OSX itself entirely. As I get more familiar with the OS and everything, I think I'll start to find new uses for myself. I should dedicate one day just reading the tutorials here and learning about it more in detail.

At this point, I'm looking into security for my macbook for theft and such in college. Has anyone ever tried LoJack?

19. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Honestly, if your not into high power computer stuff now, you probably wont in the future. Just use it like you plan, and then google how to do other stuff if the need arises.

20. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

:D

/Sorry I had to.

21. harcosparky macrumors 68020

The promo requirement state that the Computer AND iPod must be purchased on the same receipt.

Seems to me you'll have to return both and repurchase both.

Why do you want to downgrade from a 13" MBP to an MBA ????

In the end you will lost twice ...

1) Restock fee on MBP and iPod

2) Downgraded computer ( MBA )

22. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

Return the whole package including your free bonus bits and just buy a 15-inch MBP. The 13-inch MBP is nice - but the screen res / size isn't great.

23. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

Keep it man! The computer you have is cheaper than a MBA, and has more functionality. The air is going to leave you limited.

24. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

i'm in high school but my school is special so i got the free ipod/printer deal. anyway, if you need portability go for the air. What exactly are you going to be using your computer for in college. If it's intense, go for the 15 incher

25. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

this very same thing happened to me. Stick with the 13 man, it's exactly what you need.