Help ripping and burning Paranormal Activity - DVD RIP & Toast...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by YoNadz, Dec 29, 2009.

1. YoNadz macrumors regular

So Im trying to make a backup copy of Paranormal Activity. I tried ripping with MacTheRipper but kept getting those .VOB errors. So my next step is to rip with RipIt. That worked. But now when I try to burn the disc with Toast it errors out right away saying there is a problem compressing the file.

So next I tried to compress the file to .AVI with Handbrake, but it only gives me the option for a output of .MP4 or .MKV. WTF?? Is there any easier way to do this?!?!?! It seems like more and more newer dvds wont rip and burn like they used to. Are there any other programs out there that have a better success rate?? Willing to pay$$ if I have to. Thanks for the guidance.:cool:

2. jc1350 macrumors 6502a

About .avi support: the web site for the software is your friend. http://handbrake.fr/

There will most likely always be problems ripping new DVDs because the distributors don't believe you have the right to make a backup and are constantly changing the intentional "errors" they apply to the disks to thwart ripping programs. The execs for the distributors have stated repeatedly that the average $20US price is cheap enough that if you damage the disk, you can just buy a new one. Yes, most 4-letter (English) words that are typically censored apply to those boneheads.

I use DVD2OneX instead of Toast. One crucial step is to look at the "cells" in the ripped files and sure you remove any that are zero in size.

3. YoNadz thread starter macrumors regular

i guess my problem is more with burning than ripping. Between MTR & RipIt, one of them usually gets it done. Burning is another story. I tried to download the trial for DVD2ONE but it says the trail is expired. Is there any other place I can find the trial?