Help...royally messed up macbook pro and apple time capsule

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macamateur, May 13, 2008.

1. macamateur macrumors newbie

hey guys,

i own a macbook pro, iMac and apple time capsule. everything was kosher until this morning when my mac crashed and stopped syncing with the time capsule. after looking online, i found a post about doing a full restore of the mac. i did a restore by inserting the osx disc 1 and launched the install. It then reset the mac and proceeded to install discs 1 and 2. then it asked if i had a time machine to restore from (which I selected.) after completing the transfer, it appears that my imac data is on my macbook pro as well! for example, the iwork applications are now in my applications folder even though I've never installed it on my macbook pro!

My question is...how do i do a full restore from a specific time? when i did the restore using the OSX discs, it didn't let me select it. I'm thinking that I should do a restore to even earlier than last night (last time it synced properly).

does the time capsule know that it's my macbook pro that's using the sparse image file?

also, i am unable to do any backups to time capsule (the icon doesn't even appear on the menu bar) either. when i go to preferences and try to add the time capsule as my backup source...i can hear the time capsule whirring away, but then nothing...i don't even see the "backup now" option (from the icon)

thanks!

2. ScottSyrNY macrumors member

not sure if this will help...'jonathan cole' made this suggestion...see post