Help! S.M.A.R.T. error how to fix it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by edwinDigital, Aug 15, 2012.

1. edwinDigital, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012

edwinDigital macrumors newbie

I can't clean install the mountain lion on my late 2011 MBP beacause of my HD issue (smart error)... is there a way to fix it or buy new HD or SSD?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

SMART errors indicate a failure in the drive. I'd say if you can back up your data and replace your drive.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Is your computer doing something strange that prompted you to check the S.M.A.R.T. status? Most of the time it indicates that the HDD is failing. Hopefully you've backed up your data.

4. edwinDigital thread starter macrumors newbie

i think it was triggered by ML.. this only happens when i update my SL to ML :confused:

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

S.M.A.R.T. Indicates hardware failure. Installing a new OS won't cause it to fail the drive unless the drive was already dying and the extra use just pushed it over the edge.

Do you still have warranty? If so, just take it in and have the drive replaced.

Just make sure to back up your data!

6. edwinDigital thread starter macrumors newbie

sadly my warranty expired last august 7 :(

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

That was just a week ago, if you can take the computer in soon, they may make an exception for you.

8. edwinDigital thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for the info, i will try.
    just in case apple did not cover my warranty, is it enough space if i buy 128 gb ssd? i use my mbp mainly for photo editing in lightroom and photoshop or i will buy HDD 750 gb 7200 rpm?

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I personably wouldn't be able to use a 128GB SSD, I'd have to step up to a 256GB model. But it'd be a huge upgrade either way.

How much space are you using on your current drive?

10. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

We can't tell you what size drive to buy from that info. Photoshop and Lightroom files vary greatly in size. Check your current storage space and try to get something with enough space for your files to grow over time.

11. edwinDigital thread starter macrumors newbie

right now i just backed up 122 gb in my time machine excluding my music and video... i guess 128 gb is not enough i will go for 256 gb.... thanks for the input

12. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Just FYI, the Samsung 830 and Crucial M4 SSDs are considered some of the best. I'm waiting for the 256GB Samsung to drop below $190 before I pull the trigger.

13. edwinDigital thread starter macrumors newbie

how long will it take before my HD die? the smart error issue started yesterday when im trying to clean install ML :confused:

14. inlinevolvo macrumors 6502

How important is your digital life? If i got this error, i'd be at an electronics retailer already buying new storage, or overnighting an order on Amazon.

15. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Do you have your data backed up? That is the very first thing you should do. If the drive fails, you could lose everything on it.

A S.M.A.R.T. Error just indicates that something is wrong with the drive, it doesn't know when the drive will fail. It could fail today or next month. It's better to be safe, back up your data and be prepared.

16. edwinDigital thread starter macrumors newbie

right now aside from smart error issue i also has a wallet issue :D i hope apple care will cover my waranty since it was expired last week :(

17. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Yeah, shopping at Apple produces that error frequently...:rolleyes:

What was the SMART error, BTW? Odds are you're probably hosed, but some errors can be things that are not necessarily catastrophic, like a temperature error. I'm not sure the ML installer or even Disk Utility can tell you the specifics, but there must be SMART diagnosis utilities out there. You might get lucky, so you should at least check.

18. edwinDigital thread starter macrumors newbie

yup i did backed up all my important files. thanks for reminding

19. edwinDigital thread starter macrumors newbie

i checked the net and found this (SMART UTILITY) i scanned my hd and here are the result:
    1. OVERALL SMART STATUS FAILED
    2. REALLOCATED BAD SECTORS - 2047

i think i really need to replace my HD :confused:

20. P0stalTek macrumors 6502

P0stalTek

As others have said, S.M.A.R.T. is always an indication of a hardware level failure with your HDD, so I won't blather on more about that.

However, I put a Crucial m4 256GB SSD in my MBP a month or two ago, and I cannot be happier with the performance since then. If you have to get a new drive (and you do), I would definitely consider the Crucial or Samsung SSD, because you cannot go wrong.

The performance upgrade you will notice right away is amazing. As someone who has spent hundreds of bucks for incremental technology upgrades over the years, it feels great to have a noticeable, VISIBLE upgrade.

Good luck on whatever you decide (but seriously, put the SSD in, don't stick with a spinny drive, even if it means you have to invest in a good high-speed external for less used or archived files).

21. edwinDigital thread starter macrumors newbie

:)
    thanks for the heads up! going out for SSD hunting today! :)

22. edwinDigital thread starter macrumors newbie

23. P0stalTek macrumors 6502

P0stalTek

Loving it, aren't you? :)

Amazing drive, but then again, the Samsung is supposed to be awesome too. I just couldn't be happier with my decision to pick up the Crucial when I did, and Samsung's were still considerably more for minimal difference.

Glad it worked out for ya!

24. YZFNYC macrumors newbie

YZFNYC

Okay, Sorry to revive an old thread but something has to be up. In the last week I have had two Apple SSD fail S.M.A.R.T and two 3TB Seagate Drives. I mean I never had a S.M.A.R.T failure before and now 4 in one week what gives? Anyone have a clue or am I just having one of them weeks? =/

25. windows4ever macrumors member

windows4ever

The 3TB Seagates were notorious for failure, so no surprise there. I have one, but I only use it for backing up and then it gets shut off. When I was recently in the market for an Apple SSD I saw quite a few "failed" ones for sale on ebay. Does not inspire confidence. AFAIK, there is no way to "repair" a drive that fails a SMART test.