Help ...Safari or Google Ad Tracking?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Artimus12, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Artimus12 macrumors 6502a

Artimus12

I googled Parallels Desktop earlier today to read up on it, I'd never heard of it prior! I eventually decided "Boot Camp" would be the way to go, so never bothered downloading the trial, but since then, when I've been browsing other sites a Parallel Banner Ad keeps popping up.

Now I expect Ads on most websites, they generate revenue and I don't usually have an issue with them, but I don't like being targeted specifically! it makes me jumpy about what else might be stalking me.

So would this be Google or Safari doing the tracking, and how do I find out which?

I would instantly sort this in windows, but I'm new to Macs and haven't got a scooby doo (clue) how security works, so any advice on how I can prevent this happening again (cookies, browser setting adjustments, etc.) would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Shrink, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2014

Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I use Adblock to block the ads, and Don'tTrackMe Plus and Ghostery Safari extensions to block (most) information from being gathered. Don'tTrackMe will also give you a drop down telling you which data gathering companies are being blocked.

3. Artimus12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Artimus12