Help; Safari suddenly slow!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PatrickBalsamo, Jul 19, 2011.

1. PatrickBalsamo, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011

PatrickBalsamo macrumors newbie

I'm the last person to post for help on forums because I know the answer is out there, but I'm really frustrated.

Safari started running really slow a week or so ago (some of my apps are slow too, but I attribute that to my computer being almost 2 years old). I wouldn't be concerned had it not happened all of a sudden. The ONLY thing that changed was a new router from Verizon (we have fios). Speedtest.net shows my internet between 18-20MBPS which is damn fast. I got the same result with both wifi and a wired connection. We have a PC in the house which registered the same speed. The PC loads websites very fast. My macbook pro is now taking 20+ seconds for most pages. I had the same result on both wifi and a wired connection.

I have 150GB hard drive with 45GB free, I tried restarting the computer, booting in safe mode, repairing disk permissions, clearing safari's cache and resetting safari, everything I've found so far online. Nothing's working :mad:

I'm really hoping someone can offer me a suggestion because I'm so frustrated with this computer. It's never disappointed me before!!!

Let me know if there's any additional information I can provide that would be helpful.

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

Try creating a new user account and checking Safari performance in it, if you haven't already.

3. blackbinary macrumors member

Can you try a different browser and see what happens?

4. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I think this happened to my friend the last time I went to his house; it turns out he was doing Apple's system update at the same time and that was the result.

Check and see if you have any updates or not.

5. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

Check your activity monitor also, make sure nothing is going on with any particular process.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You may have better success in attracting responses to your thread, and you'll make your thread easier to find for those searching for the same answers, if you follow this tip.

7. iamBATMAN macrumors newbie

These two things will fix your issue.

Close Safari (MAKE SURE ITS CLOSED)

Open Finder window
    Click on your HD
    Library > Preferences > SystemConfig Folder (Delete the Folder, empty the trash)

Open up Terminal (Applications > Utilities or spotlight it.)
    Type dscacheutil -flushcache
    Restart

Problem fixed.

8. PatrickBalsamo thread starter macrumors newbie

I had already tried to create an additional user account and I had the same results.

As for the browser, I tried Safari, Google Chrome and Firefox.

Nothing is going on with an update--I tried to do a software update a few days ago and nothing changed, nor are there any more updates available now.

I didn't see anything weird on activity monitor, but here's a screenshot so you guys can see:
    [​IMG]

I just tried deleting the SystemConfig folder and typing "dscacheutil -flushcache" in the Terminal. It seemed to make things run a LITTLE bit quicker, but it's still well under what it should be. I pulled out my iPad and tried several websites...the iPad was (significantly) quicker than my computer for every page I tried.

Also, thanks for the tip about my forum title...I know better than to use the generic "help!!!" title, but I was at the end of my rope. :cool: I don't think I'm able to change the title now though. Doesn't a moderator have to do it?

Anybody have any other ideas about how to get safari back up and running??

9. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Try loading up other programs and using those.... as bad as it might be, there might be something wrong with the computer itself. Do other programs load up and work just fine? Is there slowdown on any other part of the computer?

10. simsaladimbamba

Select to show "All Processes" as shown in the info below:

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]
    Further reading:
    ______________________________________________________​

11. PatrickBalsamo thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's what I got:

[​IMG]

12. steveLONDON macrumors regular