HELP! Safari w/ClicktoFlash vs Chrome.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by TKYR1967, Jul 26, 2011.

1. TKYR1967 macrumors newbie

I watch a LOT of videos and listen to streaming music so Flash is a MUST for me. Which is better? Install flash and just use clicktoflash with Safari or just use Chrome?

Also, which flash is best on the Air? 10.3 or 11.0, since even 10.3 is beta for Lion?

I ask because, I had the Macbook Air 2010 but returned it when I kept getting kernel panics with flash. I now have the 2011 Macbook Air and kinda afraid to install flash but realize I use it a lot and want it.

2. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Chrome has built-in flash. I use FlashBlocker, which is the equivalent of ClickToFlash for Chrome.

Also, check out the HTML5 beta on YouTube: http://youtube.com/html5

3. TKYR1967 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried youtube.com/html5 there didn't seem to be much content

4. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Most videos on You Tube among others also use H.264 and there are Safari extensions that can force this.
    Chrome is not currently completely Lion compatible.
    Some people recommend deleting Flash from your system entirely and only using the built in Flash in Chrome.

http://daringfireball.net/2010/11/flash_free_and_cheating_with_google_chrome

Personally I just use Click to Flash.

5. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

Chrome is better simply because it doesn't leak memory like crazy. Using Chrome for 3 hours eats up about 170 meg of RAM. Using Safari for 2 hours and it too my remaining 800 meg of ram and then chewed up 2 gig of HD space. Lousy program.

6. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

It's not leaky per se. It's just that Safari is 1 process so the process keeps running even if a tab is closed. Chrome uses a separate process for each tab, so the process corresponding to a closed tab can be killed and free up ram.

7. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

No, it's quite leaky. I run one tab and I can hit a gig of ram in use in under an hour. That's just terrible imo.