HELP! Save my marriage ;)

Discussion in 'iPod' started by fridgeymonster3, Feb 12, 2008.

1. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

So, I accidently broke my wife's Friends season 5, disc 4 yesterday. Since Friends is her favorite show, needless to say she isn't too happy. I am in the process of taking all 10 seasons from DVD to iTunes via Handbrake (for soon-to-be-purchased Apple TV) and need that disc to complete season 5. I would rather not go and buy another Season 5 and I would like to download the 5-6 episodes legally (they are not on iTunes only Seasons 1-3)

So here is my main question: Can I download the episodes via Amazon Unbox with my PC notebook and then transfer them to my Mac Pro for encoding to mp4 format? If so, can I use Handbrake or do I need some other software?

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Personally, I would see no issue with you renting that particular disc or borrowing it from the library. If you don't really need to have the physical disc, just rip the borrowed/rented disc.

After all, the record/movie companies love to tell you that you don't actually the movie, only a license to watch the DVD. If you broke a disc, they should technically give you a new disc, since you still own the license. But I digress ...

ft

EDIT - I just realized that I didn't answer your question ... mainly because I don't know. I would guess that you wouldn't be able to transcode the Unbox videos because of DRM, but I could be wrong.

3. fridgeymonster3 thread starter macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

Yeah, I figured that is what I would end up doing and I do not see any legality issues with doing that personally. I just wondered if you could go from Amazon Unbox to iTunes. Saves me the trip to the nearest rental place or friends place :).

4. takeabyteoutta macrumors 6502

there are free programs online that will let you convert to .mp4. what type of file is the amazon unbox. try searching for ____ to .mp4 online.

5. takeabyteoutta macrumors 6502

also, you shoudl be able to download straight to your mac pro and do everything on it ( I assume its much faster)

6. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I still doubt that you can go from Unbox to MPEG-4, but you can try for yourself.

I just checked Amazon Unbox and they have a few free downloads, including the 2008 SI Swimsuit show. Cost you nothing, other than your time, to try it out.

ft