Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mouchoir

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2004
London, UK
Does anyone know of a way of saving a Quarkfile from version QuarkXPress 6 down to QuarkXPress 4?

I know this can be done via QuarkXpress 5 but I don't have that version so was wondering if anyone knew of any other way of doing it?

Many thanks,
M

Cursor

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
The only way to do it is to save down to QXP 5 from version 6. Then open the QXP 5 document in Quark 5 and save it down to 4. Unfortunately Quark stuck it to many of us that still need to down-save to version 4 for other people that haven't upgraded yet.:( Sorry

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
If you want, email it to me and I'll do it for you. PM me and I'll forward an email address that you can send a stuffed file to. I can do it at home or work.

Don't need fonts or images.

And it is one of my pet peeves, to coin a phrase. ;)
People who are still using 8 year old software.

Black&Tan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2004
Hey Blue...

I noticed you said no fonts or art. I can understand the no artwork, but no fonts? Will you experience font substitutions that will cause the text to reflow or are Quark 6 files smart enough to avoid that?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Black&Tan said:
Hey Blue...

I noticed you said no fonts or art. I can understand the no artwork, but no fonts? Will you experience font substitutions that will cause the text to reflow or are Quark 6 files smart enough to avoid that?

No, because I won't replace the fonts. Just open it without altering settings and ignoring font substitutions (it's not automatic -- just cancel the dialog) and resave it down.

mouchoir

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2004
London, UK
Blue Velvet said:
If you want, email it to me and I'll do it for you. PM me and I'll forward an email address that you can send a stuffed file to. I can do it at home or work.

Don't need fonts or images.

And it is one of my pet peeves, to coin a phrase. ;)
People who are still using 8 year old software.

Thanks so much for the replies, and especially for the offer of saving it down for me, but I have eventually managed to get hands on a machine with QuarkXpress 4 installed.

As I have to keep going back and forth with the client it is the easiest solution.

I thought I had seen the back of QuarkXpress 4! :eek:

Cheers,
M

Black&Tan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2004
Blue Velvet said:
No, because I won't replace the fonts. Just open it without altering settings and ignoring font substitutions (it's not automatic -- just cancel the dialog) and resave it down.

Hmmm...didn't know you could do that. I've always been concerned that Quark would lose the font settings or make erroneous substitutions.

I notice that it does have a habit to substitute font "stylings" (italics, bold) upon reopening, even if the correct font is available to the system.

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
I had (still do) Quark 4.1 on my Mac work station and Quark 5 on the Dell PC. I used to ask customers to retro save their 6.0 and 6.5 files back to 5 and send them to me. I would open them on the PC (Originally Mac files) ignoring any font or graphics messages and retro save them to 4 then open them on the Mac (with all fonts and graphics re-linked just fine) I did this for almost a year until we finally got 6 then 6.5 and I had no reflow shifted graphics or any other related issues. Now I've been putting the 7 beta though it's paces for a week now and I'm not to impressed but I feel it's a lot cleaner and stable than 6 or 6.5 was. The beta lasts until March 31 so things still may change... I haven't really "opened her up and seen what she'll do" yet but I'll get there before the end of march. I'm just curious as to what price they plan on asking :confused:

digby

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2006
One thing to watch out for when backsaving from 6 down to 5 then 4 is the prefs can alter. When saving backwards 'new' features won't save, which you would expect, but I have seen it change H&J prefs without giving any notice.

Even more dramatic changes if jumping down to 4 on OS9.

Just keep an eye open:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.