help saving programs before school re-imaging!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jcuesta, Aug 3, 2008.

1. jcuesta macrumors newbie

hey my fellow mac users,

signed up here hoping for some help and insight for something im worrying about. i start school in about 2 weeks and we have a laptop program going on there. i have just a reg old macbook i got last year and when we go back to school, they are re-imaging them with updates and new software? im not sure.

but my question is, i have two specific programs that i've purchased (those being logic express and propellerheads recycle 2.1) and i've heard that when the tech people re-image our laptops, everything will be deleted off. how can i save/ prevent these programs from being deleted? do i need an external hard drive?

any help would greatly be appreciated.

thanks,
    jc

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

Can't you just reinstall them from the original discs that the software came on when you purchased them?

3. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

Wow, most schools make sure you have certain software so you are on the same page as everyone else, but I have never heard of a school imaging everyone's discs. Yeah, you'll just have to reinstall from your program discs. That is bizarre, though.

4. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

do they belong to the school? the laptops that is. if so, thats a nice soundin school.

and also, cant u just reinstall off the DVD? (assuming you didn't download it)

5. jcuesta thread starter macrumors newbie

^^ Yeah, I have no idea why they have to re-image as well.

The program was just introduced last year so they gave you an option to either purchase your laptop or lease it for the school year. I purchased mine so I get to keep it over the summer heh. But I suppose I'll just re-install the disks, I was just hoping to keep them on the laptop or transfer it somewhere else (external drive) or something.

6. mooso macrumors newbie

imaging

does anyone know EXACTLY what sets off the school imaged computer? because mine has already failed and i lost quite a bit and i had downloaded a lot of stuff including apps that interfere with the os. i just want to know precisely what i can do or download and what i cannot