Help screen, HD swap and broke the power button wire plug:(

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by NewMacguyibook, Oct 6, 2008.

1. NewMacguyibook macrumors newbie

Hello board,
    I really need your help, I have 2, well almost 2 ibook's G4's 12's, is 1.33 and the other is unknown.

The 1.33 worked great except the fact the wireless didn't/NEVER worked, I read online that it's a common problem.
    the other one has a broken screen, forgot the addm password, can't login into user mode to reset, it has a 30GB HD, Airport card under the keyboard and the ghz is unknown 4/2004 build date I think.
    THIS IS ALL OVER AIRPORT/WIRELESS...
    So I wanted to swap the screen from the 1.33 "working great" move that over the older G4 along with the HD.
    The screen's cable were both the 20 pin harness, but nothing worked when I did the big swap.
    Also the HD from the 1.33 had some sort of adaptor on the HD pin's, both has the same amount pins in the same places, but had the adaptor on the 1.33.
    The other G4 had a plug that looked like this.
    http://www.thebookyard.com/images/ig4hdcab12.jpg

The newer one 1.33 has a different plug, and only used the large row of pins and the older used all the pins on the HD, so that's the way I hook the HD's up.

Also in the processes I broke the power button wire plug off at the logic board on the 1.33, this really suck's, but I now know why my computer wouldn't start up after the swap.
    I'm going to get some liquid solder pen and fix it that way.

So my Q's are...

1. Can swap the screen from the "Good" 1.33 and move over to the other one or do I have to swap over the display data cable too?
    Both have the same 20 pin plug, but the wiring don't match.

2. Can I swap over the HD's are all ATA HD's the same?

2. NewMacguyibook thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

What happen to the plug you pulled out that was connected to the board? I had the same thing happen to me on my 12" Powerbook, I was able to solder the socket back in and replug the power harness back in.

1 not sure about the switching the monitor maybe someone can help you out with that one

2 yes on the hard drive, that should not be a problem

4. NewMacguyibook thread starter macrumors newbie

It broke right off the board, It even broke the legs off for mounting the plug to the board.

I'm going to have a shop solder on a few really small wires.

5. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

If your pretty handy go to radio shack and get the fine tip soldering iron, there just a few bucks and will only take a few minutes to fix the 2 wires and save you a few bucks paying someone else to do it.