HELP! screen says: USB OVER CURRENT-hub will be deactivated

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by alainr, Apr 18, 2010.

1. alainr macrumors regular

when i turn on my mac, i get this message:
    USB OVER CURRENT NOTICE
    A usb device is currently drawing too much power.
    the hub to which it is attached to will be deactivated.

This happened since i had my one to one lesson and brought my imac home and plugged everything into it again. nothing new has been added.

i just click on the OK button when i get this message. does it hurt anything?
    any suggestions what I shld do?

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

It's not good that's for sure, repeated exposure to this could do damage your motherboard. The first time I ever got a usb over current error the power unit on my mbp died and it wouldn't turn on. I'd ring apple and see what they say but I can almost guarantee they'll blame whatever you're plugging in regardless of what you've say.

3. alainr thread starter macrumors regular

Cld the genius bar have messed it up?

This message started when i came home after my one on one AND a session at the genius bar where he "cleaned"up my mac so it wld run faster as it was slow--repaired permissions and....

cld something have been done that caused this message to come on now when i turn on my imac?

4. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

The USB overcurrent error has only two fixes generally. One is the SMC reset, the other is service, likely for the logic board. I very much doubt that whatever maintenance scripts the Mac Genius ran on the system would have caused this.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

What's plugged into the USB ports. I bet you have plugged them back in different ports loading one bus more than the other taking you over the limit a tad.