Help Screwed Up My Hard Drive Partition!!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Stageshoot, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Stageshoot macrumors regular

Stageshoot

OK Hands up I made a Dumb Mistake.

Went to install Bootcamp on 2013 iMac with 1Tb Fusion Drive, got it all screwed up and deleted partitions via the windows installer and Disk Utility

Now I am stuck with a system that is working but witha 200Gb Unusable Partition where Bootcamp was going to be.

This space is just greyed out I cannot do anything with it in Disk Utility from the machine or from the Recovery Partition.

I dont mind doing a complete wipe (I have a Time Machine Backup to restore from), I just want my entire 1Tb Fusion Drove back.

This is the situation mydrive is in

[​IMG]

It will not repair or repartition from the OS or from Recovery. it is just stuck, if anyone as had similar and can talk me through getting the space back or a full reset to orginal space even it it means a reinstall I would be most grateful.

I cannot add or delete partitions as all the options are greyed out.

2. macthefork, Oct 11, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013

macthefork macrumors 6502

Can you select the Macintosh HD partition rather than the 200 GB partition? If you can, then try grabbing the bottom line of the partition and dragging it down to the bottom of the partition window and over the unusable portion. Then hit the apply button. This should expand the usable partition to include the entire HDD (except for the hidden recovery partition).

I also noticed that the HDD is shown as basically full (920.51GB Available and 920.51 GB Used). You may have to reformat the disk from Internet Recovery if your own Recovery partition was damaged. You mentioned that you were able to boot from your recovery partition? From there you couldn't reformat from the Disk Utility?

3. Asrath macrumors newbie

Asrath

Help Screwed Up My Hard Drive Partition!!

If I remember correctly you should be able to restore the partition with your BootCamp Assistant. You created the partition using this tool in the first place, didn't you? The tool should also offer a way back. Nevertheless think about making a backup of your Mac partition before trying.

4. Stageshoot thread starter macrumors regular

Stageshoot

Hi

No you cannot drag down the Mac Partation, it does not work, (There is no tab in the corner), also the drive is showing as almost full but it is not (Only the OS on the drive).

If I reformat via Disk utility in REcovery it just reformats the 920gb I still end up in the same situation dont get back the missing 200gb and it shows the drive as almost full which it is not

Tried that already will not let me into the Bootcamp Assistant I get the follwong message

The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume or already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing Windows."

Which I cannot do as I cannot remove the greyed out partition.

5. Stageshoot thread starter macrumors regular

Stageshoot

Phew sorted it after a day of panic and fruitless attempts

In the end the only way was to boot the mac using a windows 8 boot disc use the win8 installer to delete all the partitions efi etc and everything else on the mac fusion drive, once this was done booted again to internet recovery and now the mac offered to rebuild the core storage.

Bobs your whatsit. 40mins later time machine backup installed and no more missing 200gb..

Really thought I was stuck. But very relieved to have it all working again.

6. macthefork macrumors 6502

Glad to hear your issue is resolved. Thanks for letting us know.