Help search for snoopping on my Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Pak^Man, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Pak^Man macrumors regular

Hello All,

I just picked up a sweet deal on a Core Duo MBP off eBay.... and just got it Monday. I'm a but paranoid about being snopped on through this machine, as I'm not aware if the last owner put any spyware, keyloggers, etc on this machine.

I know there are few spyware issues with OSX, but it is possible for an administartor (original owner) to put something like that on a system: right?

So, how can I check my system for this? That way I dont have to be concerned.

And yes, Fresh Install of OSX is not an option, as the MBP currently has some software on it I'd like to keep. {For the record, I'm not contemplating an illegal acitivity. I bought the MBP with the software on it. The seller did not have the disks. Now if he was lying and is doing something funny... not me :) }

Gracias!

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Only sure method is a secure erase and install.

Look into ways to transfer the applications off of the system and onto an other (in working order). This would be applicable to you copying those applications off the laptop, secure format it, and copy said applications back on.

What you are asking is also borderline illegal here on Macrumors as you mentioned that you don't have the disks to install software on the machine. This means that you likely don't have a legal license for this software as the previous owner didn't un-install it before sale, and is likely using it on their new system. Don't be surprised if this thread suddenly becomes locked or Wastelanded.

[​IMG]

3. Pak^Man thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the heads-up 840quadra... I put in an explanation in my post, that will help (hopefully). Though I find it odd, that given the treads on Hackintoshes and Jailbroken iPhones, I would have any issues with this.... But I am thankful for your help.

4. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

for me, word of advice. i never buy a computer on ebay or craigslist unless it comes with install discs.