HELP! Seeking App Development Advice/Insight

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by DJacob12, Feb 23, 2015.

1. DJacob12 macrumors newbie

I am currently doing some research for an app I am trying to get into the works. I am not a developer but I do have some knowledge on different topic. If I wanted to capture an image on a mobile device (i.e take a pic of myself) and apply 3D rendering to manipulate it in a way that I could: for example see what I would look like in certain clothes, without sacrificing the integrity or “how realistic the image appears”, what would be the best route?
    - Using a remote 3D rendering architecture?
    - Software architecture that carries out the entire 3D rendering process on a mobile device?
    Also is there currently any existing software that uses OpenGL ES to carry out the process on a mobile device? Advice? Insights? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. 1458279 Suspended

I saw an app a while back for "trying on glasses" ... same basic concept. IIRC, you would sit in front of a mirror, slowly move the iPhone around the front of your head. It would record and render a 3d model and apply different glasses to your 3d image which you could move around to see the sides.

It was demo'd on a TWIT show and worked well.

I can't say how it worked or what it used to do it, but it should be worth looking into. IMO, this forum really doesn't dig too deep into things, it's more entry level.

I'm working on some advanced topic things myself and I've found Git, Stack and blogs to be a good source.

I could be wrong, but aren't the graphic processing on an iPhone the same as with any PC? In other words, if image processing can be done on a mac/pc wouldn't the same routines be able to work on the iPhone? Wouldn't the difference be in how it's displayed?

3. DJacob12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, I know exactly what you are referring to and the concept is pretty much the same but potentially full-body, with full clothing apparel, and some other cool features . I believe that one was called "iglasses" or something similar. Think it's doing pretty well. I believe I read a feature about it in Entrep. Magazine.

My thinking was the same in reference to graphic processing but I wanted to get some other opinions since my knowledge on these topics are still somewhat limited. Once I got serious about pursing this, I just registered on here (so im new to this) to try and get some feedback on different topics. Nevertheless, your reply was helpful. Thanks for the tips. If you have any more useful info feel free to point me in the right direction.

4. 1458279 Suspended

I also remember something about a lawsuit. I don't remember if it was them or someone else, but I read about these software patents and patent trolls. Did they get into a lawsuit over that?

One of the problems you might face is that (AFAIK) they use key points to connect one pic to another. Example would be they eyes. Face recon is already known and Apple already demo'd a while back the "your face with a mask" app. So that tech is already there, but doing this with the whole body would be different.

I did see a video demo on YouTube years ago where they had a smartphone and walked around a car in a parking lot. The app was tracking the car and the car was then brought into a video game just as it appeared in the parking lot.

The AR (augmented reality) that I played with was pretty cool, it's a process of taking frames and looking at the frames. You can follow common points, but you have to figure out what those common points or markers would be.

I've seen some where they put on a body suit, the suit has market at the joints and that is used to track the movement of the joints.

For an over-the-counter app this might not work and you are more interested in the fashion vs movement of a character.

I too, looked into doing this years ago, I looked at standing in front of a high contrast solid surface. It was complex because you need all the sides and it's a complex 3d model where you want it to look very real.

If your goal involved fashion, you also have the issue of the subtle differences between one cut and another cut. This is different from glasses frames.

IMO, if your goal is simple, say a step up from a color matching, but not trying to make a very realistic model, it'll work. If you want it to be pretty close to realistic, that's going to be a real challenge. I doubt you would find any routines that would bring you from mid-grade to realistic.

You might want to look at some of the game engines. That where all the detailed graphic works is going on. Unreal and Unity are probably the most advanced. I'd look at how they made and render their models and see how you can overlay that.

5. kage207 macrumors 6502a

Why don't you look into Augmented Reality?

6. DJacob12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea I heard about some type of lawsuit as well but im not really too sure what came up it.

Thanks for the tips. All your suggestions will be helpful. Someone pointed me into the direction of AR a couple days ago so that is also something i've recently been looking into.

And you're right, I already knew this was going to be complex to pull off the "look" for it I want. Once I finish getting the groundwork together, it'll be on to finding a developer that will work with me to try and get this thing developed. If successful it'll def. be a game changer in the app market.

----------

Thanks for the input. Yea, I was just recently pointed in that direction as a course of action. I only knew a little about it so i've been doing some research on it and its capabilities.