Help selecting a book to learn Final Cut Studio 2

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Zagreus, May 3, 2009.

1. Zagreus macrumors member

Zagreus

Can anyone give me a suggestion as the best book to buy in order to learn Final Cut Studio 2? I have seen many online tutorials but I seem to learn best by having a book to refer to at the same time and really want to master Final Cut Pro as I'll be using it a lot very soon. Does anyone have any experience that may be helpful?

2. cpcarrot macrumors member

Depending on what you are after, the Apple Pro Training Series is very good.

3. Zagreus thread starter macrumors member

Zagreus

Is that one book for the whole suite or for each individual application? Could I have a link to the one described on amazon or similar?

4. treehorn macrumors 6502

treehorn

It's broken down by application (and some, like Final Cut Pro) have multiple books covering different aspects of the program or going more in depth.

the basic FCP book is http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Pro-Tra...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241444056&sr=8-1

From there, you can do a search on Apple Pro Training and come up with ones for Motion, advanced editing in FCP, Color, Soundtrack, DVD Studio Pro, etc...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b...oks&field-keywords=apple+pro+training&x=0&y=0

I've used the FCP and Motion books as a 'bible' of sorts for a decade or so. Very informative, well organized...and they prepare you for certification tests, so...

5. Zagreus thread starter macrumors member

Zagreus

Is their no kind of anthology that is available for all these products, even though they may be third party? Plus how much do certification tests cost and where can you take them? Bearing in mind I'm in Britain. Thank you

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

7. Zagreus thread starter macrumors member

Zagreus

Right thankyou for that, all seems good but I still think there must be an anthology or even a boxset of the Certified books, failing that where's the best place to buy them on price, as £20+ a book seems to me to be fairly expensive.

8. timn420 macrumors newbie

Just wanted to reaffirm what was stated above.

I just got started in the first book, Final Cut Pro 6, and it includes a dvd with raw footage. This is especially helpful as the book guides you through edit by edit using the included footage. The book is incrediblely well written and I can’t imagine trying to learn this software on my on without it.

9. cpcarrot macrumors member

£20 per book is not particularly expensive. Bare in mind the basic Final Cut Pro book is over 600 pages ON ITS OWN and they each include a DVD with all the lesson files and footage on them. Personally I found them to be excellent value for what they give you.

I am not aware of any "anthology" I am afraid, and it existed to be of any real value it would have to be HUGE (I'm talking like 2000+ pages). Best price when I got then (in the UK) was amazon.co.uk

Hope that helps.