help selecting a wireless plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jetlagged, Sep 23, 2016.

1. jetlagged macrumors 6502

just came back home after being away abroad for 2 years. I have an iPhone SE. Looking for a new wireless plan. I was with Verizon before and had the unlimited data before I cancelled my plan when I left. I didn't have any problems with Verizon as far as connections and service.

I'm also looking at t-mobile and sprint. They seem like they offer a good deal with a decent amount of data. I Live in central California. but I read comments online in my area that sometimes signals are weak leading to a lost connection when calling.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/landingpages/verizon-plan/
    Right now I'm eyeing the $35 Verizon option, with 2gb data. maybe upgrade to higher 4gb data when I land a job.

Any thoughts and suggestions. Should I consider the sprint (unlimited freedom for $60)or t-Mobile ($70 t-mobile one plan and 50-65$ for simple choice) so far I'm leaning on Verizon's cheapest option. I'm not sure how much data I need. But I remember hovering around 2 gb per month before of data usage. I have wifi at home which I use

2. coolio93 macrumors 6502

I think Verizon would be your best option since they now have safety mode on all their plans for free and also have the best coverage outside of bigger cities. T-Mobile has also improved coverage a lot but I still don't find it to be as good as Verizon and I really dislike their new T-Mobile one plan as it forces unlimited on people that don't want/need it.

3. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Consider prepaid and MVNO options as well.

After 2 years, of course you're jet-lagged. Welcome back.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I have a grandfathered data plan w/ ATT so I'm kinda locked in. But if ATT suddenly nixed the plan or jacked up the price to make it less of a deal I'd likely go to a MVNO. They are less expensive, use the same towers as the main cellcos -- many even owned by them, and also more flexible.

The main thing is to find out which cell company works best in your area and go with them or their MVNO or one that uses their towers.

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

My only reservations with MVNOs or prepaid plans is that they sometimes don't include tethering and/or don't have the same customer service. A much better deal at times though.