Price Advice Help selling 2010 13" MacBook Air

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by HighNoon, Mar 4, 2012.

1. HighNoon, Mar 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2012

HighNoon macrumors member

Hi all,

I bought my 13" MBA the day they came out in Oct. 2010. I got the low end 13" model (1.86 GHz C2D, 128GB SSD) but I did get the BTO 4GB RAM option. I also have had a Wrapsol skin on all surfaces of the laptop since I bought it. The MBA has absolutely NO scratches, dents, dings, dirt, etc. It is in mint condition.

I am looking to sell the MBA because I don't really use it much anymore. After looking on eBay and CL, it looks like the prices range from $700-$900 for my model.

I've never sold a laptop before, so I'm looking for suggestions on what price to sell for as well as how to sell it. Thanks!

Reminder from the moderators: This thread is for price advice. You can ask for or offer advice on pricing but you may not offer to buy, sell, or trade in this thread or any other thread in the Buying Tips and Advice forum. All buying/selling/trading threads must be in the Marketplace forum, which is open only to established members. See the Rules for the Buying Tips and Advice forum and the Marketplace Rules. Thank you!

2. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

The Mac2Sell value for that machine is $750. Realistic price is probably around $700. I'd list for $800, to give some room to come down (or you might find someone who will pay $800, depending on local market conditions - you never know).

3. HighNoon thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. I listed the machine for $800 so we'll see what happens.

Do you think I should leave the Wrapsol on or take it off when I sell the MBA? The Wrapsol itself is a tiny bit dirty in some spots but the laptop is not.

Also, I have MS Office Professional 2011 for Mac preinstalled and I am planning on including the discs. Do you think that affects the price at all?

4. Cubytus macrumors 65816

Yes, including pricey software should raise the price. But selling discs when the computer doesn't include a proper optical drive... Understates you kept the ODD for yourself.

My advice would be to sell the computer without accessories, and add them instead of negotiating too low.

5. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I would sell the computer without the accessories for a base price if you do so in the marketplace here. If you go the ebay route, I have found that people love all those extras and it will help you get a higher price. It just depends on your customer base.

6. HighNoon thread starter macrumors member

I do not have a separate optical drive. I installed MS Office via the Remote Disc utility.

Both of you are recommending selling the computer without accessories. What exactly do you mean? Should I sell the computer literally by itself? The accessories I was planning on including are the Wrapsol protector (already on the laptop), the power cord (with extender), instruction manual, and MacBook Air Software Reinstall Drive. I do not have the original box.

I do not have access to the marketplace forum here. Are there currently any Late 2010 13" MacBook Airs listed? If so, what are the prices?

7. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

The software.

8. HighNoon thread starter macrumors member

Another issue...

I restored my MBA with a fresh install of Snow Leopard using the MacBook Air Restore Drive. I have previously purchased OSX Lion from the Mac AppStore, but I do NOT want to leave any personal details regarding my AppStore/Apple ID account.

However, if I leave the MBA as-is with Snow Leopard, then the new owner will have to pay for Lion. Thoughts?

9. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

When I traded my MBA 2010 for a 2011, I did not include lion for that reason. Unless you make a generic log in for them. Obviously you will likely get more for lion.

10. HighNoon thread starter macrumors member

peapody, could you explain what you mean by "make a generic log in for them"?

Do you mean a generic Apple ID account? I downloaded Lion using my primary Apple ID, but if I sign out it doesn't appear that there are any traces of my Apple ID and/or password.

11. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

i dud say about 800 mac2sell is in average condition yours is perfect

12. HighNoon thread starter macrumors member

Hm, thanks for the info. I think $800 is a very fair price, especially due to the fact that it has the 4GB RAM upgrade, a protective skin, and Office for Mac 2011 included. I'll wait and see if I get any bites.

13. HighNoon thread starter macrumors member

Already got 3 bites at $800. I'm just going to sell it with Lion installed. I'm not too worried about someone getting a hold of my info, especially since I am selling through a secure channel.

14. Cubytus macrumors 65816

"Selling through a secure channel?"

What des that means, exactly?

$800 with $180 worth of software included... it's a steal.. For you.

Considering the amount of bugs many people have found in Lion, I would sell it with Snow Leopard, unless the winning bid specifically asks for Lion.