Help selling iPhone 5s

episcientist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2014
I purchased the unlocked 16GB iPhone 5s a couple months ago and realize now that I need the 32GB model for my usage. I've never sold a phone this new before so I was hoping for some input on the best way to do it. In the past I used Gazelle.com since it was super easy and fairly priced for old phones. But for a flawless unlocked 16GB model they are pricing it at only $350. Should I expect more than this? Any recommendations on where to sell?

bjb.butler

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Southern California
I purchased the unlocked 16GB iPhone 5s a couple months ago and realize now that I need the 32GB model for my usage. I've never sold a phone this new before so I was hoping for some input on the best way to do it. In the past I used Gazelle.com since it was super easy and fairly priced for old phones. But for a flawless unlocked 16GB model they are pricing it at only $350. Should I expect more than this? Any recommendations on where to sell?
Craigslist will always get you the most money (and CASH in hand). If you don't live in a well-populate area, or do not feel comfortable doing that, I'd suggest swappa.

solosdk

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2013
The best way, and IMO, ONLY way to sell your iPhone for the best price is eBay. I guarantee you can get about $450-500 on ebay

episcientist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2014
Wow thank you guys for all the info! Looks like the $350 from Gazelle is a little low but not far off from selling it myself (less the fees, shipping, and potential headaches). In that case, I may wait for the iPhone 6 to come out before selling the 5s.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
I suggest swappa or Craigslist as well. Ebay is a waste of time. The last couple times I tried to sell something on Ebay the buyer never paid. Huge waste of time.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
I suggest swappa or Craigslist as well. Ebay is a waste of time. The last couple times I tried to sell something on Ebay the buyer never paid. Huge waste of time.
eBay will almost always net you the most money, even after fees. If you play by the rules you are quite safe. Over 780 transactions and all good.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
eBay will almost always net you the most money, even after fees. If you play by the rules you are quite safe. Over 780 transactions and all good.
How many times have you sold something and the buyer never pay? Screw that. I know its happened to me at least twice so its had to happen to you.

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
Nonsense. I've sold a number of iPhones and iPads on Craigslist and I've never had anyone accuse me of stealing the phone. I just sold a 16GB 5S yesterday for $510.
I have never had any bites on CL when I post my iPhones for sale there. Maybe one or two...lowballers. :(

regkilla

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2013
California
Nonsense. I've sold a number of iPhones and iPads on Craigslist and I've never had anyone accuse me of stealing the phone. I just sold a 16GB 5S yesterday for $510.
They overpaid. I would never pay that much for a 16gb.

----------

I have never had any bites on CL when I post my iPhones for sale there. Maybe one or two...lowballers. :(
It depends where you live and what time you post the ad.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
How many times have you sold something and the buyer never pay? Screw that. I know its happened to me at least twice so its had to happen to you.
Sorry but I remember one person taking over a week to pay but they all paid so maybe you need to look at you, the seller as a possible problem.

I will admit that selling something like a iPhone will bring the crazy people out of the woodwork but I cancel people bids all the time if they do not have at least 10 positive feedbacks and any problems with paying.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
Sorry but I remember one person taking over a week to pay but they all paid so maybe you need to look at you, the seller as a possible problem.

I will admit that selling something like a iPhone will bring the crazy people out of the woodwork but I cancel people bids all the time if they do not have at least 10 positive feedbacks and any problems with paying.
Your right its probably them just picking me..

mysticbluebmw

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
Your right its probably them just picking me..
Of course it does happen to people. Myself, out of 600-700 personal sales, I have had at most 1-2 people not pay. And yes, you can be part of the problem. Your design of the auction page can attract the wrong crowd, and your email communications can put people off as well. Especially if you are not contacting people personally at all.

To the OP, eBay is without a doubt the best way to get the most money from a purely online standpoint. I upgrade every year to the newest iPhone, while selling off the old one, and I ALWAYS MAKE a couple of hundred dollars on the trade up. Though CL is another way to make the most money you will have to risk meeting someone, and hope they show up. Non-payers on CL are WAY MORE inconvenient than on eBay.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
They overpaid. I would never pay that much for a 16gb.

----------

It depends where you live and what time you post the ad.
It was unlocked, so that's about right.

----------

I guess it depends where you live.
You do have to be patient. Sometimes it takes a while.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
I'm not sure how "fair" Gazelle is with their offers but I just looked up my unlocked 64GB iPhone - $265 in like new condition. Ouch.