Help Selling Old MacBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by samfergus, Apr 8, 2013.

1. samfergus macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I just bought a brand new 15" retina macbook pro which i absolutely adore. however, i am a university student and could really use the cash my old macbook could bring to me. it is a 2008 aluminum macbook with a 2.0 GHz processor and 2 GBs of RAM. I know today those specs aren't great but it does run OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion and is in 100% perfect condition with a brand new battery. I tried to sell it on Ebay with a bunch of trouble on 3 different occasions which all happened to blow up in my face. A few people have suggested Craigslist or Kigigi but i really have no experience working with either of these sites so they both scare me a little. I was hoping i could get between $350-$400 for it. any advice on how i could possibly sell this thing would be much appreciated!
    Thank you,
    Sam

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what a reasonable price may be. Then adjust the price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.

3. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

I would say....

you can sell your old MacBook between $350-425. Depending in good care of the machine and no cosmetic and functional issues, you can fare well. Maybe you can try with a post in a board in your university. Or a post in the newspaper what sell best/most in your city.

Good luck with your MacBook. Dont forget to factor in shipping costs and fees if selling in an online site.

:):apple:

4. RedCroissant Suspended

You shouldn't be afraid of CraigsList. Just be sure to set the price and expect people to offer less immediately. I personally think you can get $450 for it as long as you have the original box/packaging/accessories that came with it. Just be sure to take some great pictures of it, mention the fact that it is a novelty macbook since it was the only aluminum model, and price it at $500. You'll get people asking if you can do $450; then just say yes and you've sold it.

5. BetaDan macrumors newbie

Order I use

Depending on how quickly I need the money this is my criteria:

Fastest lower price - slow higher price

Gazelle - Ive used them quite a bit for items and they are quick with payment (paypal) but the price is usually 10% less than eBay. I get my money in about 4 days....

eBay is my preferred if I have a week or two and want to watch the bid. I usually get a little more but I take nice photos and put up as much info as I can.

Ive used CL but its hit or miss... and the price is usually what I get via Gazelle.