Help - Selling phone, have a couple quick questions first

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sdmfer, Jan 6, 2011.

1. sdmfer macrumors member

Hey guys, Need your quick help here if possible.

Im selling my Iphone 3G 16GB. Its currently JB'd on 3.1.2 but NOT unlocked. The guy who's interested wants me to unlock it for him and me to provide him a sim card. Since Im not using that sim card in my new phone, can I just let him have it?....not sure.

Can someone point me in the direction for a quick and easy way to unlock the phone?

Thanks very much in advance

edit - I also want to wipe the jailbreak BUT keep it on ios 312....is there a trick to this?

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

If the sim card is dead, then it will be fine.

To unlock the iPhone install ultrasn0w through Cydia > Manage > Sources > scroll to repo666.ultrasn0w.com, download, install.

You can only restore fresh on 3.1.2 only by having the SHSH saved.

3. sdmfer thread starter macrumors member

Ok great thanks. I dont have shsh saved, so maybe I'll just update to the latest IOS for the guy? 4.1.2 or whatever it is?? Is there any downsides to this?

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You got a 3G, you don't need SHSHs for a 3.x firmware, only 4.x required SHSHS on the 3G. You can download the firmware and restore it them Jailbreak and them use UltraSn0w to unlock.

5. sdmfer thread starter macrumors member

Ahhh, ok, so restore phone through itunes and re-load 3.1.2 on it. This will essentially wipe the phone clean right (is that the purpose). THEN re-JB and use ultrasnow to unlock. Right?

But then wont I be selling him a unlocked AND Jb'd phone? Anyways to just sell the phone as unlocked without being JB? Or should I not worry about it and just do what you said? lol

thanks for the quick help guys, I really appreciate it.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Dont update to the latest 4.2.1
    You wont be able to unlock it unless you install the ipad BB and lose your GPS feature.
    Stay at 3.1.2 or .3.1.3
    You cannot unlock the phone unless its jailbroken.
    No JB= no unlock.

7. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Ah, yes you have a 3G. Thought it read 3GS. In that case you can restore back to 3.1.2 and jailbreak with redsn0w, unlock with ultrasn0w.

8. sdmfer thread starter macrumors member

oh boy, redsnow? Cant I still use BlainRa1n?

Sorry since I JB my phone with BR, I havent researched too much on this site..lol

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I think BlackRa1n would be fine (I Don't remember I personally stay away from Crappy Geohot's tools). Here is a guide to do it using redsn0w

10. sdmfer thread starter macrumors member

I also want to note that the SIM in the iphone is now "disabled" so to speak, Ie "no service". Does this have any effect on what I need to do? Just want to be safe here.

thanks

11. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

No, you're perfectly fine.

12. sdmfer thread starter macrumors member

Pefecto - thanks for the FAST help guys. I feel comfortable now. I just really want to get rid of this phone quick, to pay for my stupid cancellation fee from my contract.

Good news is Im saving 100-110 bucks a month with my new phone plan ;)

13. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Good to hear.

14. sdmfer thread starter macrumors member

man sorry one more thing. Is there any legalities I should be worried about with selling a JB/Unlocked phone? Or should I now REALLY shut up and just do it...lol

15. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You got it!;)

16. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

It's perfectly legal. And now the FBI won't find you.

17. sdmfer, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011

sdmfer thread starter macrumors member

well finally able to get time to start, and VOILA - 1st step I get an error...actually nothing at all.

I started iTunes, connect my phone etc, and the Update/Restore function on the itunes summary tab is greyed out....WTF? Is it caused by me running Itunes 9.2.1.5 ? Should I update to latest?

What do ya think?

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

19. sdmfer thread starter macrumors member

Hye guys, ok I restored and set up as a new phone, then re-JB'd using redsnow etc. Everything went fine.

Next I went through Cydia and "installed" ultrasnow through repo666 or something like that.

Is that all I have to do? Does that simply unlock the phone or are there additional steps. How do I know if the phone is unlocked?

Sorry for the questions, hopefully this is it ;)

Thanks a TON

20. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

If ultrasnow is installed you're all done, the phone is unlocked.

To test it you need a T-Mobile or another GSM sim and just pop it in, if it's recognized and you can make/receive phone calls you're all set.

21. sdmfer thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all for the help. The whole process was too easy after my silly questions. Next time i could do it blindfolded....almost. But it never hurts to be 100% sure, which is why I havent bricked anything yet I suppose.

Im not gonna bother to test, since I just got the case etc neatly on my new phone.

Take it easy guys. thanks again!

22. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Next time you should do some research before asking questions that have been ask billions of times. Let's start with google!

23. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

you mean besides screwing the buyer over?

24. sdmfer thread starter macrumors member

Nice send off pr1ck!! Glad i dont have to deal with goofs like you anymore. All the best pi§§in other people off in the future.

25. deaddog macrumors member

I too will be selling my old 3G iPhone and would
    like a little clarification. From reading redmondpie.com it looks like 4.2.1 is unlockable via ultrasnow correct? So what would be the benefits or disadvantages for upgrading it from 4.0.1? I heard the 3G runs faster on the newer firmware. Thanks I advance.