HELP!! Serious iTunes Issue!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by podvisual, Jul 25, 2007.

1. podvisual macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've recently discovered a serious issue with my iTunes library. iTunes for some unknown reason has decieded to start over writing the contents of one song with the contents of another.

Example - Yesterday I was listening to "Black Crows Amorica" Track 4 - Cursed Diamond. When the song starts its at the instrumental end of something I can't quite detect. Then, after about 30 seconds the audio fades out (still playing the song) and all of a sudden it fades into the beginning of "Crazy" by Aerosmith. All the while itunes (or my ipod/iphone) says its playing the original song, Cursed Diamond.

This problem is happening all over my library, with seemingly no rhyme or reason to the madness. I've opened a bunch of the problem tracks in both audacity and Garageband to look at the actual audio - and sure enough, its been changed. Its happening on songs I know played fine at one point, and now, somehow, have been changed.

I've been searching all day trying to find a solution/answer to the problem, or even someone else who has experienced it - with no luck.

mac os x, most recent version of everything.

Any thoughts/suggestions??

2. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

You probably have fade in/out on, and set to 30 seconds. Try turning it off in the itunes prefs.

3. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

no, because it was stated that after 30 seconds it faded, not with 30 seconds left. to find out if it is a problem with the song file or with itunes, find the song in you folder. user/music/itunes/itunes music/artist. and then right click it and open with quick time. if it does the same thing when listening to it in quick time then your music file is messed up. if it plays fine you might want to reinstall itunes because it could be a messed up itunes

4. podvisual thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I'm currently defragmenting my music hard drive in attempts to help solve the problem so I cannot open iTunes right now.

I'm not sure if thats the problem. Another example - today I was listening to one of my David Byrne albums on my iphone. Whole album played fine, then I came to track 11 which as soon as it started was in the middle of a live Dave Matthews Band song which played for the 3 minute duration of the David Byrne song. There are occurances like this all over my library. A song starts and its in the middle of something else. Like playing a Public Enemy song and discovering the audio has been over written with a slice of a 20 minute long Phish jam.

5. podvisual thread starter macrumors newbie

Its the music file itself, its happening in garageband, quicktime, audacity, etc. I could email you one of the tracks and it would be all screwed up. the thing is, I know all the songs that are now screwed up - used to play fine. Some are songs I've listened to dozens of times and now suddenly have had the audio over written at random.

6. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

thats really peculiar, i have never heard of that happening. take it to an apple store near you and show it to the genius, they have loads of intelligence, and between one of the geniuses at your store, they should be able to resolve it