Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rinseout

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
So my thesis is "due" tomorrow, and at some point over the last couple of weeks I upgraded to 10.4.7, and for whatever reason now all of my TeX math fonts are mangled. A lot of symbols have turned into square boxes which may have shading, squiggles, or weird phonetic characters in them. I'm not necessarily saying that the 10.4.7 update has anything to do with it, except that now whenever I build the pdf of my thesis all of the math fonts are mangled.

I think I have the fink version of tetex installed since I upgraded to 10.4, but I don't tend to update fink very often. Basically I am running LaTeX and then dvipdf to build the pdf.

How do I resolve this? I need detailed pointers to figure out what to do since I am not particularly conversant with fink or how to rebuild fonts. I will add IM contact info if anybody can help better that way.

Thanks for any expert advice... This is exactly what I don't need tonight!

Update: Solved. A reinstall of teTeX and a reboot did the trick. I have a feeling the reboot cured it, which is scary, since the old teTeX and new teTeX installs both work.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
rinseout said:
So my thesis is "due" tomorrow, and at some point over the last couple of weeks I upgraded to 10.4.7, and for whatever reason now all of my TeX math fonts are mangled. A lot of symbols have turned into square boxes which may have shading, squiggles, or weird phonetic characters in them. I'm not necessarily saying that the 10.4.7 update has anything to do with it, except that now whenever I build the pdf of my thesis all of the math fonts are mangled.

I think I have the fink version of tetex installed since I upgraded to 10.4, but I don't tend to update fink very often. Basically I am running LaTeX and then dvipdf to build the pdf.

How do I resolve this? I need detailed pointers to figure out what to do since I am not particularly conversant with fink or how to rebuild fonts. I will add IM contact info if anybody can help better that way.

Thanks for any expert advice... This is exactly what I don't need tonight!

Do you have the file saved on an external source, as in a recent backup copy? If so, see if it's normal, if not...repair permissions, delete and reinstall fink, take most recent file and current file, save on external source, and try loading on another computer.

rinseout

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
hi -
thanks for the advice. yes i have all kinds of backups, but since i want to make changes to the files tonight, i will need to be able to recompile the LaTeX source. i am sort of loathe to reinstall fink since other parts of my build environment (which i also need tonight) rely on it, and from what i remember its a day-long procedure to get everything updated and reinstalled to delete fink (i.e. everything in /sw) and start from scratch.

i think the main problem might be the dvipdf program; when i look at the dvi in xdvi it looks at least less garbled, and maybe fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.