Help! Set permissions on 2nd HDD, and now I can't access

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NovemberWhiskey, Jul 3, 2010.

1. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

May 18, 2009
    I changed the permissions on my 2nd HDD in my optibay, and now I cannot access the drive. A little lock is displayed with the icon, and when i try to access it is says "you do not have permission to see its contents."

I changed the permissions in the first place because I formatted my primary SSD drive and was having trouble gaining access to some folders on the secondary drive. I got tired of setting "read and write" for each and individual folder, and so I clicked on the small drop-down menu with the gear that allowed me to set it for all the folder within that drive. I set "read and write", and after about an hour it finished processing that command. However, after it finished, the permissions read "custom" instead and I was denied access to everything on the drive.

Any way to fix this? I don't want to lose the data on there (it is my scratch disk).

2. NovemberWhiskey thread starter macrumors 68030

May 18, 2009
    NM, found an answer that fixed my problem. Posting it here for anyone that needs it in the future:

Type the following in Terminal and replace "volumename" with the name of the locked hard drive.

sudo chown root "/Volumes/volumename/"
    sudo chmod 1775 "/Volumes/volumename/"
    sudo -k