Help setting up a Hub

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by therocket, Sep 10, 2010.

1. therocket macrumors member

Hey,
    So I just started a new year at university and I just found out that my new university does not have a Hub set up(like to use with ShakesPeer). I would like to set one up but i need some help. I have seen some softwares out there but have yet to find any useful information on how to begin.

Could some one please point me in the right direction to a useful tutorial or explain to me what to do. let me know of the best software to use and what I need to do to implement it to the university's network.

Thanks

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Are you trying to get your system to act as a hub of some sort, or actually setup a physical hub?

Most universities have strict IT regulation over what hardware will be allowed on their networks, and they enforce it vigorously. You might check with your Univs IT department first.

3. therocket thread starter macrumors member

i want it to act as a hub i guess, where people connected to the network could use ShakesPeer(mac) and DC++(windows) to share files with other people on the network. From talking to other people here, they had The Hub going last year and then the dude that set it up left and pulled the plug on it as he left. So I wanted to set it up again.

4. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

When talking about networking, that's not a hub. That's a server. A hub is just a piece of hardware that lets computers pass network traffic from one to another, but doesn't really store anything.

A server is a machine that will allow people to put data on, and / or take data off of it. It is there for everyone to see and get access to.

As someone else said, many universities forbid this type of setup, check with them first.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If it were only as simple as plugging in a box and pointing people to the right address, we might help you out. However it's not that simple and will probably be used for illegal activity, so I don't see why we should help you. Google it?

6. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

So, in reading about Shakespeer, it appears to be a sort of local file sharing app that requires at least one server computer (what they call on the documentation a "hub"), and the client systems that the server will route to each other. While such an application could be used for completely legal and legitimate sharing, I doubt that's what's going on.

Regardless, their documentation didn't say how to setup the "hub", but it looks like you really only need Port forwarding and such from outside the local network.

Again, I have to stress that most universities will frown on such a "network" within their network, so you should check with your university's IT dept first.