Help Setting up a scratch disk

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Drew n macs, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Drew n macs macrumors member

I am new to the whole video editing so no clue if this makes sense.

My plan is to have a computer with a small ssd (for OS) and a scratch disk for video editing. (I will be using final cut X).

Do I also store all my video on scratch disk? or another external hardrive? I am planning on getting a small ssd for the computer so it would not be large enough to hold my video clips.

Does the edited video stay on the scratch disk till complete.

Please let me know if any more info will be helpful.

2. cgbier macrumors 6502a

There is no more scratch disk in FCP X. It's Event and Project folders now. You can store these folders on any disk.

3. Drew n macs thread starter macrumors member

would you recommend editing a video on the same hard drive that all my videos are stored on?

4. simsaladimbamba

That is the only way it works, as you create a new video out of the videos stored on the scratch disk, though no actual video file is created anyway due to the Non Linear Editing nature of computer editing applications.
    You have your raw material and just take bits of it and use them without actually having to create new files for that purpose.

Or do you mean something else?

5. cgbier macrumors 6502a

FCP X stores all files it creates in the project folder, so you, if I understand you correctly, DO edit from the same drive.

If you mean if you should separate your video data from the system drive, yes, this is recommended.

6. Drew n macs thread starter macrumors member

I thinks so... I guess my plan is to load all my video clips to a hard drive and the ones that I am going to edit load on a scratch disk and once complete delete the files and move the completed file to were i will store all my videos. This will allow me to have a copy of raw footage plus finished product. Does this seem like a good Idea?

ok thanks