Help setting up a wireless printer network with 2 mobile laptops please

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MOFS, Aug 18, 2014.

1. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

So this is a problem I didn't factor into my decision. In about 10 days I'll be buying a 15" Retina Macbook Pro to replace my early 2009 Mac Mini. I chose the Macbook mainly because my work as a teaching fellow requires me to make presentations and the Macbook Pro fitted the bill. The problem I have just realised is that my printer is linked to the (soon to be removed) Mac Mini and as me and my wife both have laptops (she a Macbook Air) I realised that there wasn't going to be a computer permanently attached to my printer. My kit is as below:

2014 Macbook Pro
    2013 Macbook Air
    Airport Time Capsule
    Wireless Router [Virgin Media]
    Canon Pixma iP4600 Printer

I suspect the best way to sort this out is to connect the printer to the Time Capsule with a USB port as I understand this will show the printer on the network. The only issue is that the Time Capsule worked poorly when it was attached to the router downstairs via ethernet, with poor Wi-Fi connection to my Mac Mini making back-ups impossible. Is the printer going to have to be attached to the Time Capsule in a similar way, or is there a different way to solve the issue of the printer over a wireless network. There is no ethernet port on the printer and no way to make it wireless. The Macbook Pro will occasionally be docked [I have a Belkin dock to use] but ideally won't be tethered all the time to a printer.

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Search for a "print server" that has USB connectivity.

Your network sounds problematic, though, so I don't know how well you'll be able to get it working with your current setup.