Help setting up Airport Network without base station

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jgdesign79, Apr 13, 2007.

1. jgdesign79 macrumors newbie

I'm a newbie when it comes to networking, and especially with Airport, AND without a base station. I've been trying for days and I just can't get it. I read some threads and successfully created an ad hoc network, but it's too limiting. Here's what I need to accomplish:

- Set up a network at home using my Intel iMac running Tiger (connected to my DSL modem)
    - Allow an iBook running Tiger to connect and be able to (1) use the internet , and (2) have full read/write permissions to a "media" partition I created on my iMac.
    - I would also like to get my PS2 on the network via Airport Express, receiving a wireless signal and connecting to the PS2 via ethernet.

I really need detailed help -- I understand things here and there, but not enough to "read between the lines". Thanks so much!!!!

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

What do you have set up so far? It sounds like your iMac is connected to the internet. You just need to share your internet connection. Open up Prefs --> sharing --> Internet. You want your settings to look like the illustration below.

Then your iMac should show up in your iBook's list of available networks.

To share a partition on your HD, you need to activate personal file sharing in the same prefs panel. Then just use Go --> Connect to server on your iBook and login to your iMac using your account info.

I don't know anything about playstation, though.

Attached Files:

3. jgdesign79 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've done all that, I think :(

The wireless network shows up fine on the iBook and I CAN connect to the internet.

However, I then hit command+K on the iBook to bring up the server connect, and select the local network I've set up on the iMac (either by IP address or the .local name) and click Connect ... but it brings up a message saying it can't connect or that the server may not be functioning/active (or something like that, I'm at the office and can't remember exactly what it says). I never have an option to type in any sort of user or password (and I don't think one's been set up, either?)

I have no idea what I'm missing or doing wrong. I've turned on all the file and internet sharing that I can think of on the iMac ... could it be something to do with any type of permissions, or IP addresses between the two machines? Does anything specific have to be set up on the iBook?

I feel like a total idiot right now, lol. Thanks!

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Okay, I just tried it myself on my network. It took quite a while for my iBook to recognize my iMac (two or three minutes), so you may just need to give it more time (after you hit command-K, then click "browse" -- that's where your computer should show up. Then once you click on "connect", that's when you'll be asked to log in -- just use your iMac username and password. Once you get connected, you can make an alias so you can access the folder or partition you want directly next time).

Also, do you have Appletalk turned on in your Airport Settings under Network? I'm pretty sure Appletalk needs to be on for all this to work.

5. jgdesign79 thread starter macrumors newbie

PERFECT!! Apple Talk was what I was missing. Got it working now, thanks so much for your help!!!

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Excellent! Glad it worked for you!

Now anyone want to help with the playstation problem? [jgdesign, you might want to try searching the games forums, too]

7. jgdesign79 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've searched every forum I can find on the PS2 topic. A lot of people say they've gotten to work -- but it sounds like two possible components I may be missing are a crossover cable (which I don't believe the one I am using is), and an Airport Extreme Base Station.

I tried tonight to input the IP, sub, etc, thinking I'm smart, and it kept timing out. I hoping I don't have to get an Extreme and I can get away with just using my iMac as the server/host. But, does the PS2/Airport Express have to have an IP ASSIGNED to it (using an Extreme BAse Station)? I found that info for the network, iMac & iBook (something like 10.0.2.X, right?)

Anyway, the PS2 isn't critical, but it sure would be nice. Thanks to anyone who can provide some insight.