Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ppcg4mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2012
Northwest Kansas
Wirelessly posted

How can I acres the damned thing from outside my LAN. It is on port 81 if that helps. Do I need to forward the port or something. I'm new to this.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
Do you have a static IP?

If so, just forward the port in your router settings. Then whenever you want to access it, just type in the IP address and port.

At least, that's what I do with Remote Desktop

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Wirelessly posted

How can I acres the damned thing from outside my LAN. It is on port 81 if that helps. Do I need to forward the port or something. I'm new to this.

I just set two of these up the other day at my house. What brand is yours?

You have two options:
- Provided you have a static IP, or one that changes infrequently enough that you can manually keep up with the changes, you will need to set up your router to port-forward whatever port to the camera's IP address. Note that this will only work if you also make sure your router gives your camera the same IP address at all times. Do not let it use DHCP for that. Assign a rule on your router for the camera.

- Set up iCam and iCam server. This only works for mobile devices I believe, but it doesn't require any port-forwarding...you just set up a username and password, and it just knows how to find your camera. Somewhat like Slingbox did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.