Help Setting up Apple Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bbasra, Oct 27, 2013.

1. bbasra macrumors member

I have a mixed network with both Windows Desktops\Notebooks\Servers, an iMac and rMBP at home.

I'm currently using a Linksys Router N which is flashed with DD-WRT firmware but the wifi signal is poor so have decided to upgrade it therefore purchased the Apple 3TB Time Capsule instead of the Asus Wireless AC router as i think its more value for money with the time machine function to backup my imac and rmbp.

Firstly, my Windows 2012 Domain Controller has the AD/DNS/DHCP/Exchange role therefore would like DNS and DHCP disabled on the Apple Time Capsule but cannot work out how to configure this. I will plug my cable modem into the WAN port on the Apple Time Capsule and the GB Ethernet port to my current network.

Secondly, how can i use the Time Machine option for both my iMac and rMBP?

Many thanks.

2. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Time Capsule doesn't provide DNS at all. The only way to disable DHCP is to switch it into bridge mode (no DHCP, no NAT).
    You just set all your Macs to back up against your TC everything else is taken care for.

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

As @priitv8 said you can't turn off DHCP without turning off routing - but you can configure the TC to direct your devices to your Windows DC as the DNS server. You'd just turn off DHCP on the Windows box.

To do that, you'd need a static IP from your ISP. Set your TC Internet tab to "Static", and you can then have the TC hand out IPs to your devices, and tell them to use your DC as the DNS server.