Help setting up Mail on a college account

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by collegeStudent1, Aug 16, 2008.

1. collegeStudent1 macrumors newbie

Hey I just bought a Mac for college and am trying to set up the Mail service with my college account. The address is username@ecats.gcsu.edu. Im not sure what kind of server the incoming/outgoing server is and Im not sure what it's called. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

both incoming and outcoming are: 1stu.gcsu.edu and it is a POP3 server.

3. cristo macrumors regular

It would be better for you to contact the system administrator at your college for this information, rather than having someone here have a guess!

Edit: or that guy above could answer!

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

My school doesn't allow direct access to email from an external client (we have to use the webmail), but you can have your address forward to an outside email address.

I'm sure there is an informational page on how to do everything with email from the college's IT department.

5. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

6. OldManJimbo macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

Many university IT departments block certain ports related to email to reduce exposure to their systems being improperly used by students - it's unfortunate and a pain in the neck, but a sad reality. My guess is that your school has chosen to block direct access and you'll be forced to use their Webmail application while on campus.