Help setting up Mail with an Outlook Web Access Light email account

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chate, May 10, 2010.

1. chate macrumors newbie

I've tried and tried a million times so it's about time this problem gets solved. My college email is a Microsoft Outlook Web Access Light 2007 account, using purchase.edu. I believe it is an Exchange account, as opposed to POP or IMAP, but I cannot find anywhere what to enter for "incoming mail server", "outlook web access server", or "outgoing mail server". I've tried "securemail.purchase.edu" which to me seems like the logical answer due to the generic example of "mail.example.com" along with a mix of other server names found on my email's about page. Every time I try it says the server is not responding. I'm all out of ideas, please help!

also; I'm using a macbook that I purchased in 2008 with Mac OS X if that makes any difference.

2. nadyne macrumors 6502a

To access Exchange 2007, you need to use either Apple Mail in Snow Leopard (10.6), or Entourage 2004, Entourage 2008, or Entourage for Web Services. The first two are part of Office:Mac 2004 and Office:Mac 2008, respectively; the latter is a free update to Office:Mac 2008. Since your uni gives you an Exchange account, they likely also give you a free or very low-cost version of Office:Mac 2008.

Regards,
    Nadyne.