Help setting up mail

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mjohansen, Sep 1, 2012.

1. mjohansen macrumors regular

I use my hotmail on both my iPhone and MacBook, but its not working as I want it to.

Whenever I read my mails on iOS they become "marked as read" on both my iPhone and if I access my mails via a browser. However, all mails on my MacBook via "Mail" app is still marked as unread. This is quite irritating, as I have to read all mails twice...

Is there an easy fix?

2. nw9 macrumors regular

Check and make sure that you are using IMAP instead of POP on your Macbook. If you don't know how to do that then in Mail go to your preferences and in the accounts tab it will tell you which one you have setup. If you are setup as IMAP then I don't know what is causing your problem because if all your devices are setup to use IMAP then everything should be synced.

3. mjohansen thread starter macrumors regular

Im using POP on my MacBook. I dont know how to change it to IMAP...

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hotmail does not support IMAP. You can run your Hotmail though GMail IMAP as described here, but it is not a full solution.

I have read about people using a paid IMAP intermediary service called Izymail, but I have no experience with it myself.

5. grumpycompuprof macrumors newbie

Hotmail allows Exchange support. Works very well for my wife. Don't have the settings at hand though. Just google it. Same with Gmail. I use the Exchange route. Far better than IMAP IMO.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That works on iOS devices, but not OS X (at least as far as I can tell).

7. tarryweather macrumors member

Hotmail doesn't support IMAP?? It's 2012! I can't imagine why people are still using Hotmail if that's how feature-complete it is.

8. mjohansen thread starter macrumors regular

I have to agree - pretty lame that it doesn't support IMAP...!

9. nw9 macrumors regular

Even Yahoo mail has also given users IMAP instead of POP only on all their devices. It is real surprising that there is still a mail service that doesn't provide IMAP. Nowadays it should be a standard required feature for email service since many people use more than one device to access their emails.

10. grumpycompuprof macrumors newbie

I can't speak to that. She only does email on her iPhone and iPad. But I thought Exchange support in Mail was one of the latest enhancements. Gotta try with my Gmail accounts and see.