help - setting up my exchange email with iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by zsilverman, Oct 12, 2009.

1. zsilverman macrumors member

Hi all,

I have a weird problem. I want to set up my my school's email with my mail client on the iphone. my school uses Microsoft exchange email. However, it is not working. I attempt to set up my iphone with the email and it keeps telling me that it cant auto-discover and a new field comes up that asks me for the server (which i do not have). The reason this is extremely weird is because I have snow leopard (supports Microsoft exchange). I set up my email with mail.app and it took like 5 seconds and everything worked no problem. All i had to do was put in my email and password. But for some reason this is not working with the iphone. I know mail.app uses exchange 2007, does the iphone not use that as well. I want my school email on my iphone.

Any help would be appreciate it

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Do you have iTunes setup to automatically sync mail accounts? If so, your iPhone should match the settings in mail.app.

3. zsilverman thread starter macrumors member

I do have itunes set up to sync mail accounts. However, itunes does not sync Microsoft exchange accounts, it does imap, pop, etc pretty well but no Microsoft exchange.

still looking for a solution, any help would be appreciated

thnx

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Is the Exchange server allowing mobile connections for anyone else? That has to be allowed by the administrator. Why not ask the school or other students for the server info you need?

Also if your desktop is inside the school's network it is easier for it to connect. :cool:

5. zsilverman thread starter macrumors member

I dont know if the server is letting other mobile users access their emails through their phones. I could not reach the tech department to help me out (it is a messed up university) and I am in a very specialized small program, so not a lot of students with me.

What im not understanding is why it was so easy for snow leopard to access it where as the iphone is not working. I thought they both used Microsoft exchange, clearly snow leopard's implementation is a tons better.

Still need help

any suggestions would be appreciated.