Help setting up my external display from my MBP (to TV)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TheCrazedMadman, Mar 6, 2009.

1. TheCrazedMadman macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm fairly new to macs, And I I've been having troubles with getting the external display to work on my TV (from My Macbook Pro)...all I want is to watch movies from my mac onto my TV...nothing complicated.

I bought a mini-dvi to DVI converter and a DVI cable to connect to my Samsung 1080i HDTV...all the cables fit and work. I installed boot camp with XP on my MBP...and using nvidia display settings I can get the external display to work (though the resolution is like 640x480, lol)...and I would prefer to use my Mac side for it.

So, when I try it on the mac side (turning off the computer connecting it, and then booting it up), there isnt anything shown on the TV (just says waiting for input or something). But when I check in the prefereces-display option it has more options than usual (as in it detected the DVI output is being used), for mirroring, arranging displays, etc. but nothing I change will make it show up on the TV.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Hit Detect Displays in System Preferences under Display (where you were looking) and change the Input of your TV with the remote until you find it. The MBP knows there's something attached to it, so that's good.

3. TheCrazedMadman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but that was another thing I had already tried (the exact message on my TV when it gets to the DVI is "No Signal or Out of Range" - which Im sure is just a default message), once I plug it into the macbook that DVI channel does pop up...and it is also the channel that shows the display once I go onto the xp side of my computer.

4. TheCrazedMadman thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone? Or, does anyone know where else I could ask

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

So you said it doesn't even work with mirroring?

6. TheCrazedMadman thread starter macrumors newbie

Almost forgot about this topic....and yes, mirroring is the first thing I tried (since I use clone when I do it with XP)