Help setting up my first media center...please

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by bobbykasthuri, Jan 30, 2012.

1. bobbykasthuri macrumors newbie

Hey all
    I am really looking forward to setting up my first media center. I have the following to dedicate to it:

15" MacBook Pro 2010
    Time Capsule
    HDTV !
    Ethernet connectivity
    Airport Express

I would occasionally like to use the MBP so I would not want it tethered to the TV so I am considering an ATV2 to tie it all together. However, before buying anything new I would like to try out a possible solution with my MBP to see whether the family agrees (and whether we can get off cable this way...).

My problem is how do I get started (I can connect my laptop to TV and see it) but should I then install XBMC? what do I use for a remote? what role should the time capsule play (not storeing movies but how do I connect to MBP to mimic ATV2..) I know these are obvious questions but have not found a specific guide for MBP as opposed to ATV2...

thanks for any suggestions/advice

2. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

I would invest in a Boxee Box and also buy the live tv tuner for it you can download the software for free to try on your macbook pro but you won't have netflix etc. With the live tv tuner and basic cable (If you have cable internet it may be free anyway) you can watch live tv and watch online content on the boxee box. It is also airplay compatible and would be able to browse files on your macbook pro. www.boxee.tv for more info.

For a remote if you have an iPod touch or iPhone they work well as remotes for the MBP or you can order an apple remote however the boxee box would come with one.

3. MrMacMini macrumors regular

Use Plex on you MBP until you get an ATV. Plex can tie in your iTunes, movies, and even Netflix (to name a few). That is probably as close to an ATV that you will get with out actually buying one. Im not sure what role the Time Capsule would play other then just storage.

There is also a Plex app for your iPhone/iPod Touch and I think even for the iPad, which turns your iOS device into a remote.

4. bobbykasthuri thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks and more ???

Thanks for the replies...I was hoping not to buy anything new so not sure i want to invest in a boxee box (especially if I am going to get an ATV2 anyway...).

I am happy to try Plex but is there some problem with XBMC on the MBP? I would love to access all the plugins that come with XBMC but maybe many of those can be found in plex as well (i.e. icefilms, etc)

thanks

5. MrMacMini macrumors regular

Sorry Im not familiar with XMBC, Ive only used Plex. From what Ive read they both work really well.

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Buy an AppleTV2 and see what the stock OS offers. It's a pretty handy family friendly device and you can AirPlay your Movies & Music.

7. CHRONiC YOUTH macrumors member

You could setup Xbmc on your lappy and hook it up to your tv with the hdmi but It would be a pain, an atv2 is way tidier and will free up your laptop for a ton of other stuff if you have the extra 99 dollars it's def worth it you should probably go check out the Xbmc forums their site has a lot of useful information on the stuff your lookking into and would prolly answer most of your questions just by searching through a few threads

8. chunker macrumors member

Buy an ATV2 and Jailbreak it. You won't have to connect your MBP any more.

I used to connect my Macbook to my tv and it became annoying to do this all the time, the ATV2 was a great purchase.

You don't need to jailbreak it, but it's more convenient.